53 Commander C Coupe rear fold out window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 53 Commander C Coupe rear fold out window

Does anyone have any tips on replacing the glass in the rear quarter window. Chrome frame. Also any tips on replacing the pins in the latch assembly.

Thanks

Assume you are talking about the stainless steel frame, not chrome.
    There is no way to replace that glass without complete disassembly. The stainless frame needs to be split at its seam, and quite probably reassembled with a new rubber seal and new rivets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3191337.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1886028
    Last edited by rockne10; 03-19-2021, 09:59 AM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      Assume you are talking about the stainless steel frame, not chrome.
      There is no way to replace that glass without complete disassembly. The stainless frame needs to be split at its seam, and quite probably reassembled with a new rubber seal and new rivets.

Name:	P3191337.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1886028
      Mine is chrome. I really do understand the basics. The problem is getting the glass back in the frame as it is not very flexible . The frame is on the bench with the new glass and rubber.

Comment

These may help I hope.............

Name:	C.body.qtr.glass0001.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1886085Click image for larger version

Name:	C.body.qtr.glass0002.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	1886086 Click to expand
        So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
          These may help I hope.............

Name:	C.body.qtr.glass0001.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1886085Click image for larger version

Name:	C.body.qtr.glass0002.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	1886086 Click to expand
          Thank you. That will help. Where did you find this?

Comment

This was the hardest job to do on my '53. If you can avoid it, don't do it.
            '53 Commander
            Art Morrison chassis
            LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

GREAT Service Bulletin Dwain, thanks for Posting it!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I removed my vent window in my 54 sedan by firstly applying some solvent around the rubber, I don't know the specific solvent but there are several on the market, toluene, MEK etc.. I then started with a small wood wedge between the glass and the frame gently tapping until the glass starts to separate from the frame. As the glass and frame start to separate additional small wedges are inserted between the frame and glass. The frame will open about 1/2 - 3/4 inch then start to pull on the glass until it will release. Mine were in for 60 plus years and the both came out with this method, insertion was just a push in with a small amount of trim cement.

Comment

The reproduction rubber that I purchased to replace the glass was not the same configuration, and yes I'd agree it is a miserable job. I'd use urethane in a tube the next time. but then I can be a fabricobbler

Comment

Originally posted by ralt12 View Post
                    This was the hardest job to do on my '53. If you can avoid it, don't do it.
                    Wish I could avoid it but it is apart now. Not only that but I can't find the rivets for the locking mechanism which I took apart for chroming. Are you using the Art Morrison chassis ? If I were to do it again that is the way I would go.

Comment

Originally posted by 1953champcoupe View Post
                      The reproduction rubber that I purchased to replace the glass was not the same configuration, and yes I'd agree it is a miserable job. I'd use urethane in a tube the next time. but then I can be a fabricobbler
                      Don't know how you could without making a heck of a mess. I had thought about that but don't see how with the glass being so hard to get into the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by dave hethrington View Post

Don't know how you could without making a heck of a mess. I had thought about that but don't see how with the glass being so hard to get into the frame.
                        You are correct. I used urethane to set the glass in a 49 Ford windwing that I had to modify because the roof had a 3 inch chop, I wish you the best of luck, too bad the repro rubber is not "right" I've still got the repro rubber that I didn't use.

Comment

I've got 4 pieces that I wrecked trying to put them in

Comment

Working...
                          X