Frames - Avanti vs Convertible vs Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Frames - Avanti vs Convertible vs Wagon

Question: When I check the wheelbase for these three frames (Avanti, Convertible, Wagon), they all have X members and have either 108.5" or 109" wheelbases. Are they the same frame??

Similar, but not exactly the same.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The shop manuals have drawings of the frames with detailed dimensions, you can probably find them posted online. Good place to start would be Bob Johnstone's website www.studebaker-info.org
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I thought the Wagonaire had the longer 113" wheelbase.
        Andy
        62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Similar, but not exactly the same.
          Are they interchangeable between the 3 models?

Comment

Thank you for your comments, all. I did find the 61 Lark convertible chassis and Avanti chassis diagrams on the Bob Johnstone website, but no pictures of Wagon frames. The convertible and Avanti frames appear almost identical - this was expected).

I have read conflicting lengths of the Wagon frames - 109" or 113". It may be that the later Wagonaires had the longer 113 wheelbase. Not sure. Could a longer 113" frame be cut down/altered easily to 109"?

Comment

You didn't mention why you are asking or what the project is.

As far as the wagon chassis, all 59 and onwards have a 113" wheelbase. Other models from 59 to 66 had either 108.5" or 109", they used the same frame but the axle location was 0.5" further back.

Depending on your expected outcome, you may find it easier to cut out and install an X-member in your frame than to shorten one. I have one all ready to install when ever the occasion arises.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post

Are they interchangeable between the 3 models?
                Only with the proper modifications. For example, any Lark frame will be too long at the rear for an Avanti.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                  Question: When I check the wheelbase for these three frames (Avanti, Convertible, Wagon), they all have X members and have either 108.5" or 109" wheelbases. Are they the same frame??
                  To answer bluntly, no. Wagon 113" wheelbase. Avanti frame is different in the rear from the convertible. Within the three frame types the differences make them in no way a swap in with a another one amongst the three.

Comment

I HAVE "Heard of" people cutting the outboard body mount ends off of the #2 Crossmember, shortening the Rear Frame Rails and welding the "Pipe" across the rear as Gary eluded to in Post #8, of course you have to use a '63 or '64 Lark Type, 109" Convertible Frame.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

A friend of mine - who was a very good welder - once had an Avanti with a very rusty frame. He used a ‘62 Lark Hardtop frame. He cut the X member out of the Avanti frame - it was not rust compromised - and re-welded it into the Hardtop frame. There were various changes to mount areas and the rear of the frame. It turned out very well.

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I have about 10 wagons, roofs damaged. Friend wanted Avanti frame. I had heard that they were the same with the same X member.

Comment

Working...
                        X