Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Hunter
    replied
    Yes. Remove that residual/check valve. The majority of standard caliper disc brakes will drag if there is any residual pressure, and gradually apply themselves harder and harder as they get warmer.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
    Rich - I'm using an O'Reilly Brake Best (remanufactured) #10-1292 dual master, and as I recall, the 2-pound check valve for the front discs and 10-pound valve for the rear drums. Think I should remove the in-line check valve to the discs and see if it makes a difference?
    That is how Studebaker did it with NO "Residual Valve" at all, BUT they never used a Dual Master with Discs, so with Jim Turner's Custom Dual System, you would have to ask him.

I would think it matters whether you plumbed the Hydravac to the Front Brakes or All somehow.

Leave a comment:

• tomnoller
    replied
    Rich - I'm using an O'Reilly Brake Best (remanufactured) #10-1292 dual master, and as I recall, the 2-pound check valve for the front discs and 10-pound valve for the rear drums. Think I should remove the in-line check valve to the discs and see if it makes a difference?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I am wondering Tom, what Master Cylinder you may have, I know it would be under the Floor on a '58 Champion Sedan, so if the Front Circuit has a Residual Valve in the Port of a dual M/C, or all 4 wheels are controlled by one if a Single M/C, you do not want that because the Calipers will lock up.

Leave a comment:

• ColoradoHawk
    replied
    If your booster has 2 bleeder screws, it’s for drum brakes. Disc brake applications only have 1.
    The disc brake booster also puts out higher line pressure than the drum brake unit.

Leave a comment:

• tomnoller
    replied
    Good to know, Jim! Never thought of that. Wish me luck fixing that...

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    Tom
    Did you get a drum brake booster? or disc brake booster? There is a check valve inside the booster somewhere, that is different for disc and drum.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• tomnoller
    started a topic Brakes: Check valve?

Check valve?

I've added a (rebuilt) hydrovac brake booster to the front Turner discs on my '58 Champion sedan. A booster meant for car applications; not trucks, BTW. Bled the two valves on the unit and at the wheels until bubble-free before starting the car. I now have an easier pedal for stopping but it feels like the unit doesn't completely release the pads. I don't like the drag I'm feeling and, of course, a hydrovac isn't adjustable. Should I have a check valve on my vacuum line to the unit? Hate to think of gas fumes getting in there...
Working...
X