62 lark generator problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 62 lark generator problems

My 62 lark 259 generator has been pushing out 16 volts, and I replaced the voltage regulator, but it’s still running around 16 volts, I am not to show how but does anyone got any other ideas?

Maybe try charging the Battery fully on a Batt. Charger, and then try it in the Car.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Disconnect the field wire from the regulator and check your output. Still high? then there is a short in the field wire or in the field. Disconnect the field wire at the gennie and recheck.

If the voltage drops to almost zero when you do the first check then the regulator is at fault. '62 gennies are high output and require a particular regulator. Another thing to try to run a ground wire from the case of the gennie to the base of the regulator--without good grounding the regulator can not tell how much it is calling for.

Comment

okay sweet I’ll give it a try, it should end up around 14 volts correct?

Originally posted by Ross View Post
        Disconnect the field wire from the regulator and check your output. Still high? then there is a short in the field wire or in the field. Disconnect the field wire at the gennie and recheck.

If the voltage drops to almost zero when you do the first check then the regulator is at fault. '62 gennies are high output and require a particular regulator. Another thing to try to run a ground wire from the case of the gennie to the base of the regulator--without good grounding the regulator can not tell how much it is calling for.

Comment

Yes. 14 volts is ballpark, plus or minus half a volt either way.
          Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

A 1962 Lark should have an Autolite/Prestolite generator on it. The part number for the 6 cylinder engine is GJP 7402S and GJP 7402E for the V8. Those generators have to have a matching voltage regulator to function correctly. The regulator is adjustable, but it is tricky for someone that has not done it in the past. My 62 Hawk still has its original generator on it, but has had its regulator replaced a couple of times and even using a NOS Prestolite regulator, I still had to do a voltage adjustment. To do the adjustment, you will need a good volt meter and the shop manual which has instructions for doing the adjustments. The correct voltage should be between 13.8 and 14.5 volts with a target voltage between 14 and about 14.3 volts. Bud

Comment

Where are you reading the 16 volts at? Your readings should taken at the battery. A generator can produce unlimited voltage if run fast enough, but what is important is what the battery receiving. It only needs a couple volts over 12 to work.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                Where are you reading the 16 volts at? Your readings should taken at the battery. A generator can produce unlimited voltage if run fast enough, but what is important is what the battery receiving. It only needs a couple volts over 12 to work.
                Correct I am Testing it at the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                  A 1962 Lark should have an Autolite/Prestolite generator on it. The part number for the 6 cylinder engine is GJP 7402S and GJP 7402E for the V8. Those generators have to have a matching voltage regulator to function correctly. The regulator is adjustable, but it is tricky for someone that has not done it in the past. My 62 Hawk still has its original generator on it, but has had its regulator replaced a couple of times and even using a NOS Prestolite regulator, I still had to do a voltage adjustment. To do the adjustment, you will need a good volt meter and the shop manual which has instructions for doing the adjustments. The correct voltage should be between 13.8 and 14.5 volts with a target voltage between 14 and about 14.3 volts. Bud
                  Sweet thanks ill poke through the shop manual!

Comment

Working...
                  X