Using "L" with a Flightomatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Using "L" with a Flightomatic

Hello, can you select L on a Flightomatic when not stopped, say take off in 2nd & shift into L, then D? Regards, Cus
    sigpic

Yes, if moving SLOWLY. or just put the pedal to the floor and trans will downshift to Low automaticly. if the trans wont downshift you need to get a pressure gauge and adjust the linkage per the book. with a little practice you can select Low each time you stop then shift up manually when ready. Luck Doofus

Comment

Actually if you start in low, run the rpm’s up shift to D then back to L the trans will shift to second and hold there.
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

My 61 Hawk owners manual says for added braking below 60 MPH you may pull the selector into L. That shifts the transmission
        into second gear, although I have never done it above 50MPH. Remember to shift back into D when you get to about 15 MPH
        otherwise when it shifts into 1st it downshifts so hard if feels like it wants to tear the U-joints and tranny apart.

Comment

I forget the speed, but probably while still in 2nd and prior to upshift to 3rd, if you pull it into 'L' it will go into 1st gear. Above a certain speed and upshift to3rd, if you then pull it into 'L' it will only drop to 2nd, and will stay in 2nd unless you slow down to about 10 MPH, when it will downshift to 1st. You can drive it and experiment, and soon will learn the up/down shift parameters without hurting anything, since the FOM 'knows' which gear to chose when shifted into 'L'.. If you take off in 'L', pretty sure it will remain in 1st and only upshift if you temporarily put it in 'D' then back into 'L'.. I am probably making it sound more complicated than it really is.

Comment

going to L from D, it slams into 1st and locks /skids the tires, so i don't dare take it to L and anything above 15mph, even tho supposedly above 60 it goes to 2nd.................emm, ah ha

Comment

Thanks for all the replies,
              This is what happened! From being stopped, took off in 2nd normally, got to about 10-15mph, pulled into L for a bit & put into drive, it went to second, was doing about
              35mph, put my foot down , went bang into 1st, chirped the tires, I quickly bumped back to drive, it changed up, & I coasted back into my driveway. When I got back in the garage, put the car in R, & no cigar! All forward gears seem OK, trans fluid is correct level.
              Have had a chat to the Auto Trans. guys, he said either a broken band or servo etc., unfortunately I won't be able to get it to them for a couple of weeks at least.

regards, Cus
              Last edited by Cus63; 03-14-2021, 06:53 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

If you are lucky, maybe the trans fluid frothed up and was not filling to allow the car to move in reverse. After sitting overnight, try to start and see if it will move. If you do have the car move, drain the torque converter and transmission with new fluid. The Borq Warner model 8 is a pretty good transmission but at an age that it can have a problem.

I liken to driving our cars can be like this: You go to the nursing home with granny there in here walker and take her out to run a 50 yard dash. Some times we ask to much of our cars.

Bob Miles

Comment

Might be time to read the 59/64 shop manual, trans section. a pressure gauge could be helpful. Luck Doofus

Comment

Definitely some kind of problem there, it wasn't due to rough treatment, the manual says you can pull into Low in second & it will drop to 1st, pull into low in 3rd & will drop to second, then select Drive & should go back to the normal changes, my trans kicked back to first when it should of stayed in 2nd at that speed, after drive was selected,
                    so I'll post the diagnosis once the trans guys check it out, hopefully they won't have to pull it all out, it's nice & oil tight ATM,

regards, Cus
                    sigpic

Comment

When the Throttle Pressure is adjusted TOO High, it COULD go into Low at above 35 MPH or so when downshifted from Drive and definitely do some damage, it Should NEVER do that, it is supposed to go to Second!

I have said it here a LOT of Times, the Throttle Pressure is Critical to all functions of the Flight-O-Matic so Must be set properly.

It sounds like Cus63 and nw2013 BOTH have that problem, that is UNLESS they really shifted to Reverse by mistake and never knew because the Shift Detents are worn enough to allow that!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hello Rich,
                        Yes, I think it's a pressure issue as well, definitely didn't go into reverse, was an automatic kickdown not a manual shift, it was an awakening experience,
                        once rectified, I don't think I'll be playing around with manual shifting, it was a very low speed test run, I've heard of guys locking up the trans at speed,
                        could be very dangerous!
                        sigpic

Comment

I think it possible you were just "funnin" around with it and caught the shifting "off". Rather than playing around with it, just buy a 1st gear start valve body and put it in "D"...... Have you driven the car since this happening ?

Comment

I often use "L" when starting on hills, or for a little faster takeoff at stop lights when I need it. I would NEVER pull the lever to Low at speed, no matter what the manual says - after all, we are playing with 60+ year-old cars here.

Just my two cents

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cus63 View Post
                              once rectified, I don't think I'll be playing around with manual shifting,
                              Once you get it repaired/rebuilt, you should be golden. Whatever broke in that trans was already preparing to let go before this minor incident. I'm not super acquainted with BW automatics, but does sound like line pressure is critical.
                              Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Working...
                              X