Charge (Amp) indicator light - 59/60 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Charge (Amp) indicator light - 59/60 Lark

After its engine re/re for painting and clutch, and a last minute carb cleaning this morning, the 59S Lark is up and running nicely.

When I brought it home last July and only shook it down for about 5 miles before pulling the drivetrain, I can’t remember if the “AMP” light ever worked when the ignition was on. Noticed it today as part of the check that it’s not illuminating when the IGN is on.

1. Bulb works when removed and powered.
    2. Circuit 18A (blk w/wht tracer) from Arm term of regulator to case of bulb socket has good continuity (0 ohms).
    3. Circuit 9G (wht w/blk tracer) which brings 12V to the bulb base does power up when IGN is on.
    (This socket is not grounded to the gauge case like the backlights, etc).

Q1: What in the regulator circuit goes to ground when the key is energized to light the bulb?
    Q2: When the car starts up and the light extinguishes when Gen/Reg are working, what breaks this ground circuit at the ARM terminal?

I’m not at all proficient with charging systems - any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

I have a similar problem, and am following. (Note, I am using a solid state regulator, and it *used to* work with it, but now does not)
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Comment

When the Armature turns the Ground for the Light is interrupted, that is all we need to know.

Gordo will know why, I don't care the Technical reason for that, does it matter to someone?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Mason your Alternator is in a whole different Category from a Generator Circuit.
        The Regulator is built in, and the Alt. should have a Terminal for an idiot Light.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          When the Armature turns the Ground for the Light is interrupted, that is all we need to know.

Gordo will know why, I don't care the Technical reason for that, does it matter to someone?
          We always need the technical reason in the Tech Talk forum!

Tried one more thing moments ago: taking the 18A wire off the Arm terminal and grounding it to make sure 9G + bulb + 18A circuit was good. Being darker in the garage, a weird observation happened: this time when the IGN was switched on, the right bezel back-lit up a bit. The Oil light was on as per usual.

What someone prior to me did was put the damn AMP socket into the upper left backlight hole...I put it back where it was supposed to be and we have illumination. Not everything is better working in the daylight!

Tomorrow on a proper shakedown, I’ll verify it extinguishes when engine running.

Sorry for the stupid oversight. Ron, I hope you find your answer, but maybe check the above on yours....

Last edited by NCDave51; 03-13-2021, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post

We always need the technical reason in the Tech Talk forum!

Tried one more thing moments ago: taking the 18A wire off the Arm terminal and grounding it to make sure 9G + bulb + 18A circuit was good. Being darker in the garage, a weird observation happened: this time when the IGN was switched on, the right bezel back-lit up a bit. The Oil light was on as per usual.

What someone prior to me did was put the damn AMP socket into the upper left backlight hole...I put it back where it was supposed to be and we have illumination. Not everything is better working in the daylight!

Tomorrow on a proper shakedown, I’ll verify it extinguishes when engine running.

Sorry for the stupid oversight. Ron, I hope you find your answer, but maybe check the above on yours....
            Oooohh! I'll check that. It's hard reaching up back there an knowing what you you've really grabbed. I can't wait to see!
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post

Prior goofball owner of my '62 put the oil pressure light in the upper illumination socket. Dash lights are inop, but at least I can see my coolant temp after dark when I have no oil pressure.

Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post

Oooohh! I'll check that. It's hard reaching up back there an knowing what you you've really grabbed. I can't wait to see!
                Well, that wasn't it for me. I do think it has something to do with the electronic voltage regulator.
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                X