REAR AXLE BEARING REMOVAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REAR AXLE BEARING REMOVAL

I want to clean and repack the rear axle bearings on my 50 Champion. How do I get them out. I have [u]everything</u> off down to this point and am not sure how to get them out of the axle housing.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jimmie

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    I'VE SAVED SO MUCH DAYLIGHT THAT THERE'S NO DARK TO SLEEP IN ANYMORE!
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana

Don't know if you mean just the axle bearing or the whole axle.

For the bearing removal, remove the castle nut, plain washer, bearing cup and bearing. The book does mention a tool for removing the cup, J-270-1. It appears to be just a rod that will fit inside the cup so you can wiggle it out, don't know if you really need it or not.

Do you have the brake backing plate off? If not, I can give more info from the book.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Yes, I do have the brake backing plate off. I plan to order the book on CD tomorrow.
      I thought maybe the bearings were pressed onto the axle and maybe the whole axle had to be pulled out. I will try to make something like the J-270-1 to help me.

Thank you,
      Jimmie
      Orleans, Indiana

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Don't know if you mean just the axle bearing or the whole axle.

For the bearing removal, remove the castle nut, plain washer, bearing cup and bearing. The book does mention a tool for removing the cup, J-270-1. It appears to be just a rod that will fit inside the cup so you can wiggle it out, don't know if you really need it or not.

Do you have the brake backing plate off? If not, I can give more info from the book.

sigpicJimmie
      Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Ok, good luck. I haven't done this myself, so this is just deduction from reading the manual. If you have the backing plate off, the next normal step would be to remove the alignment washers and go further. So maybe you need to be careful not to damage the alignment washers. Maybe put the backing plate back on first.

Comment

Just slide the Drum on the Axle without the Axle Key, install the Axle Nut and Washer about three turns, slide drum inward, then slam it outward as hard as you can and brace yourself, if the axle comes out on the first good pull, you and it could take a tumble! It may take two or three trys.

The Bearing is pressed onto the axle, so you will just be removing the Cup or bearing race from the housing (it is only a snug slip-fit), which will free the axle and bearing to remove for packing with wheel bearing grease.

If you own a slide hammer, it will also do the job.

Oh, the "axle washers" BobGlasscock is talking about, MAY be the Axle Shims, they will be between the backing plate and the RIGHT SIDE axle flange, do keep them together, clean them, but do not damage them and be sure to reinstall same.

You will also need (4)new Backing Plate Gaskets, (2)Inner Grease seals, (2)Outer Grease Seals.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for the advice, and in many cases I go for the old adage. However, as much as possible I want to avoid having a breakdown along the highway several miles from home. The last time I had some trouble with my last Studebaker a couple of times,(18 yrs. ago) my wife refused to ride with me in it again. The deal this time, was that I could get another one if everything was as troublefree as possible. Henpecked, not really, just love my wife as much as my own body. This included $400 for a new gastank, all new wiring and anything else that might go wrong. And, you need to understand that I have taken this thing apart from the frame up to the headliner and from bullet to back bumper so checking the bearings and replacing or relubing them only makes sense to me. It is currently being jambed before I put it all back together for the complete, inside and outside painting. Again, thanks for the advice.

Jimmie
              Orleans, Indiana

quote:Originally posted by jclary

sigpicJimmie
              Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Being that far along,I think I'd put a couple new bearings in it.Any tiny flaw in those old bearings will cause problems 'down the road',repacked or not.

Oglesby,Il.
                Anybody that drives faster than me is a maniac.Anybody that drives slower than me is an idiot.
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John,
                    My wife and I wrapped up 45 years last October 5th.

Take Care,

Jimmie
                    Orleans, Indiana

quote:Originally posted by jclary

sigpicJimmie
                    Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Working...
                    X