What's that color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's that color?

I was looking at a Wagonaire article in Collectible Auto from 06. There was a picture of a 65 that was a dark red, almost maroon; I really like that color! I don't have chips for 65, and Autocolorlibrary.com only goes to 64.

Anyone know if that's a correct Stude color, and if so what is it?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Someone will know, wish I could help...ebay had a 64-65 combined chart, but didn't show any chips. Not sure if it was a 64 color, too. I remember my neighbor's brand new 1964 Avanti in that color. Really sharp with black interior. Here's a chance for you to always know that year's colors, Bob:

http://www.autolit.com/Store/product...5&cat=0&page=1

Comment

Bordeaux Red, perhaps?

Chris Pile
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The Studebaker Special
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Bob - I assume you mean this colour?

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
        May 23 & 24, 2009?
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander
        Zone Coordinator
        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

No, it looks darker than Bordeaux. Maybe I'll try my new scanner tonight if no one knows it.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I've only seen one 1966 car with a colour the owner called "Plum". He advised me that it was a "proposed" 1967 colour, but then again he also advised me that his car was the last one built. I haven't seen it for 25 years.

I'm afraid I don't have the colour chips for 1966, and I haven't got a picture of the car to post.

Paul

Comment

OK, try this:

Closest description I can think of is Cinnamon. Anyone recognize it?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I may be wrong, but the wagon and Cruiser appear to be the same color. Shadowing in a photograph as well as age can check the color a bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The wagonaire to me appears to have a brown hue to the red almost oxblood

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
                  259cid flight o matic

Comment

Just a non stock darker repaint?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

I may be wrong, but the wagon and Cruiser appear to be the same color. Shadowing in a photograph as well as age can check the color a bit.
                      No, they're clearly very different. Monitors can differ, which probably explains your viewpoint. The scan is from the Feb. 06 issue, and is in excellent condition with no fade or discoloring. When I look at the original next to an actual picture of Bordeaux there's a big difference. As I said it's a cinnamon color.

It may not be original for a 65, but it sure appears to be a perfect original or resto. The article identifies the owner as Brian Stouck. Anyone know him or the color?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Wonder if anybody thought any more about this and had any idea if that is in fact a Stude color...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Just speculating as I haven't seen the photo you refer to, but any Stude that looks that good has most likely been repainted. If this is a repaint, then it might be a non-Stude color, or a Stude color from another model year. Mount Royal Red is a shade darker, but it's 1966 color.

[img][/img]

[img][img]
                          Dwain G.
                          AL SORAN RACING

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Just speculating as I haven't seen the photo you refer to,
                            Dwain, it's the picture I posted 6 posts back! It's the magazine page scan. Here it is again:

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

The red I remember for the 65's was almost an orange color, not very red at all. I had some mixed for me in the 80's before California started messing with paint. I hope in the next couple weeks to have all my chips & Stude info at the new house, so I can be a bit more sure of my posts.

60 Lark convertible
                              61 Champ
                              62 Daytona convertible
                              63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2)
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X