Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t walgamuth
    replied
    Anybody do a larger diameter single exhaust?

Leave a comment:

• Hugh
    replied
    I forgot to add I have been through two of the same fuel pumps in the picture posted by NCDave51. Sorry to say neither lasted very long. The carter can only be heard when engine is not running, but who runs them when the engine is off? I have a toggle switch installed as well as an oil press safety switch.
    Hugh

Leave a comment:

• Hugh
    replied
    Hi again folks
    I have found the "vent hole" near the fuel pump arm is squirting oil out. Was hard to find. Had to remove fan belt to keep air blast from the fan away. Showed right up. As an expedient, I have installed a (made in the USA) Carter P4259 electric 6 volt fuel pump bought from O'Reilly's locally. They had it to me same day. After installing the Carter pump near the fuel tank I also removed the original mechanical fuel pump and blocked off the mount plate, (same plate as for early Ford V8). Now no oil leaks, fuel press is 3.5/4 PSI , engine loves it, so do I and especially the wife is happy. Don't know at this point if I will reinstall another mechanical pump. Oh yes, I did remove and plug the oil lube line that went from left cyl head to the old fuel pump. I also used a magnet and removed the old mechanical pump push rod from the vent/filler pipe. The lines for the filter remain in place.

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    replied
    The round cad-plated pump that S-I (for example) is selling ran my ‘64 289 2-bbl like a champ - on my Champ.

Ditto the Mr. Gasket 2-4 GPH pump I’m running on my 170-1bbl Lark.

Zero mech pumps on either. Your oil leak/loss was always a worry after reading this forum the last 4 years.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh
    replied
    Hi All folks!
    the pipes are 2” and I did this “just in case” I decide or want to convert to a 289 later. I have also replaced the clamps with the stainless wrap styles. I also added two exhaust pipe tips with the Studebaker logo on them! My living in Maine, I found them on the internet, located, where else but Hawaii! Very happy and will post pics at a later date. Right now, have just had a loss of power on the road, coasted to stop, found oil leaked on the left side of engine originated at the fuel pump and a total loss of fuel delivery at carb. Have the fuel pump off, found nothing except the pump mount gasket was leaking oil. Can’t figure out the loss of fuel delivery/press. The diaphragm looks ok, but pin holes never do manifest themselves. I am shopping for a kit to overhaul, but being holiday weekend, naturally, I will not be parading this weekend. My electric boost pump runs but will not move fuel, lines clear, filter replaced, etc. no help. Can hear it run but no flow. Connected intake to electric pump to a known fuel supply can and still nothing. My luck with electric fuel pumps is zero! I’ll keep you all posted as to what I find.
    Hugh

Leave a comment:

• Hugh
    replied
    The fuel boost pump failed after 20 seconds of operation. I did get a replacement under warranty and all is cool. Yes the items looking like cylinders are the “hill holder” roll back system and I might add work perfectly. I know the standard tranny/clutch is a headache with dual exhaust, can be done but much more problem with interference with starter, oil pan, clutch linkages etc. a solution is to separate both pipes at the Y on pax side and bring both pipes back and crossing over after crossmember into two separate. I didn’t do this for any other reason except the sounds! Just love the duals. I have painted the pipes since the pics were taken to help preserve the looks. My stipulation to the shop was no interference with emergency brake cables and to be able to move/remove for any future maintenance to the underside as well as to not see the clamps etc going down the road! Job done!

Leave a comment:

• gjamesk
    replied
    Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post

The crossmembers for 51-52 automatic cars differed from manual transmission equipped ones. The automatic cars had the crossmembers with 2 humps, standards had only one.
    Thanks Bruce for clarifying, didn't know that.

Leave a comment:

• BRUCESTUDE
    replied
    Originally posted by gjamesk View Post
    It appears you have a later batwing crossmember with two humps for the exhaust. My '52 only has one on the passenger side. That and the clutch mechanism on the driver's side makes it a bit more difficult on a stock car. When I spoke with Don at Silvertone he said that he couldn't help me with duals, so I plan on using a local shop when the time comes.
    The crossmembers for 51-52 automatic cars differed from manual transmission equipped ones. The automatic cars had the crossmembers with 2 humps, standards had only one.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Huard (Hugh), that's a Great looking Job your Local Muffler Shop did!

The Pipes look like at least 2 or 2 1/4 " Pipe, way more than a 232 needs, so you'll be good to go if you ever convert it to 259/289 with the larger Port Heads. I'll bet it sounds Great though.

I see the Fuel Filter and Electric Pump behind the Center support Crossmember, but WHAT are those 2? Cylinder shaped things and Hoses or Cables behind the Engine support Crossmember? They really don't appear to be the Anti Creep Solenoid and Master Cylinder but COULD be.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-08-2021, 09:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gjamesk
    replied
    It appears you have a later batwing crossmember with two humps for the exhaust. My '52 only has one on the passenger side. That and the clutch mechanism on the driver's side makes it a bit more difficult on a stock car. When I spoke with Don at Silvertone he said that he couldn't help me with duals, so I plan on using a local shop when the time comes.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Klinger
    replied
    Thanks of posting your photos, the exhaust work looks great. Who locally did the work? I recently acquired a 51 Bus Coupe that has a high performance 289 bored .080 over and it has the H crossover, would also like to convert to 2 pipes all the way back. It sounds great now but I imagine duals would sound better and provide better performance too.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	champion7 left side 1 (2).jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1889006Click image for larger version

Name:	champion27.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1889007

Leave a comment:

• Hugh
    replied
    Somehow lost the pics. Will work on getting them up

Leave a comment:

• Hugh
    replied
    Here is the completed exhaust. Done by local exhaust shop, sounds just great. Also pics of engine and tranny just before reinstall. Hugh

Leave a comment:

• Kurt
    replied
    I put duals on my 51 years ago. I took the y pipe off and welded the y shut and used that on the right side. the head pipe for the left came from a Lark and it fit perfectly. The right side exhaust is totally factory otherwise. The left side I made myself. Turned out good. A good exhaust shop could do this for you

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I would have a more "Standard" straight and simple System made like Studebaker did on 1955 and Later cars. Just Head Pipes going down from both Manifolds and straight back, one over and one under the #2 Crossmember with a "Dip Up" over and back down of the E-Brake Cable, and on out back. Mufflers go just forward of the Differential.
    NO connections to each other or Crossover etc.

My '52 Commander had the muffler shop Tail Pipes as many modified Early Stude. V8's did, rather Close together under the rear bumper, NOT wide apart like '55's.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-10-2021, 02:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X