Dual exhaust 1951 commander v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All folks!
    the pipes are 2” and I did this “just in case” I decide or want to convert to a 289 later. I have also replaced the clamps with the stainless wrap styles. I also added two exhaust pipe tips with the Studebaker logo on them! My living in Maine, I found them on the internet, located, where else but Hawaii! Very happy and will post pics at a later date. Right now, have just had a loss of power on the road, coasted to stop, found oil leaked on the left side of engine originated at the fuel pump and a total loss of fuel delivery at carb. Have the fuel pump off, found nothing except the pump mount gasket was leaking oil. Can’t figure out the loss of fuel delivery/press. The diaphragm looks ok, but pin holes never do manifest themselves. I am shopping for a kit to overhaul, but being holiday weekend, naturally, I will not be parading this weekend. My electric boost pump runs but will not move fuel, lines clear, filter replaced, etc. no help. Can hear it run but no flow. Connected intake to electric pump to a known fuel supply can and still nothing. My luck with electric fuel pumps is zero! I’ll keep you all posted as to what I find.
    Hugh

Comment

The round cad-plated pump that S-I (for example) is selling ran my ‘64 289 2-bbl like a champ - on my Champ.

Ditto the Mr. Gasket 2-4 GPH pump I’m running on my 170-1bbl Lark.

Zero mech pumps on either. Your oil leak/loss was always a worry after reading this forum the last 4 years.

Comment

Hi again folks
        I have found the "vent hole" near the fuel pump arm is squirting oil out. Was hard to find. Had to remove fan belt to keep air blast from the fan away. Showed right up. As an expedient, I have installed a (made in the USA) Carter P4259 electric 6 volt fuel pump bought from O'Reilly's locally. They had it to me same day. After installing the Carter pump near the fuel tank I also removed the original mechanical fuel pump and blocked off the mount plate, (same plate as for early Ford V8). Now no oil leaks, fuel press is 3.5/4 PSI , engine loves it, so do I and especially the wife is happy. Don't know at this point if I will reinstall another mechanical pump. Oh yes, I did remove and plug the oil lube line that went from left cyl head to the old fuel pump. I also used a magnet and removed the old mechanical pump push rod from the vent/filler pipe. The lines for the filter remain in place.

Comment

I forgot to add I have been through two of the same fuel pumps in the picture posted by NCDave51. Sorry to say neither lasted very long. The carter can only be heard when engine is not running, but who runs them when the engine is off? I have a toggle switch installed as well as an oil press safety switch.
          Hugh

Comment

Anybody do a larger diameter single exhaust?
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
            X