Dual exhaust 1951 commander v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Dual exhaust 1951 commander v8

I recently acquired a 1951 Stude Commander with 57000 miles. This is a model H Starlight Coupe 5 pass and automatic trans. I have pulled the engine and am “freshening” the engine. I want to install dual exhausts and do it right. Not stainless, just simple duals. Can I use the front cross-over Y pipes, cut off and have pipes made to go to rear, both pipes coming from the location of the Y and bending to fit? I know the parking brake cable will give me all kinds of interference problems, most likely resulting in a “bend for clearance” where the cables touch the pipes, but is there a fix for this using a different brake cable or not worry? Also, should I cross over the two pipes to equalize length? I am simply installing for the sound. No drags, etc. I’m too old for that.
    I have completely rewired the car, new brake hoses, all wheel cylinders and master cylinder. Turn signals are the most complicated wiring I have ever experienced, as wiring diagrams are hard to follow. The indicator bulb sockets in dash are a special insulated socket, and of course no listing of this anywhere I can find. I had the headliner replaced, and when they re ran the wiring for the rear courtesy light, the upholstery folks reversed the wires. Took me forever to find what happened and correct! In any event, I would like any experience related info to keep me on track with the exhaust situation. You folks have the best info available, since almost all is hands on experience and very little “theory” only unless the book is correct. Thanks folks, keep up the good flow of info
    Hugh

Have your exhaust made by Don at Silvertone Exhaust. Well known in the hobby, his info in Turning Wheels. He made a set of duals for my 53 Starliner.

Comment

Thanks for the info will contact
      hugh

Comment

Don makes only stainless steel exhaust systems. Waldron and Parks Pipes make aluminized exhaust systems (can be found by Google or ads in Hemmings or Turning Wheels), as well as SS systems. I went with Don's SS system only because of his sterling reputation for quality & fit. Aluminized pipes are roughly half the cost and should outlast our children, if not grandchildren. On the other hand, I haven't heard anything bad about Waldron or Parks Pipes either.

One detail: I use stainless steel "band" clamps (available from Summit Racing in OH) so as not to have to use any muffler cement or welding. And, you avoid the crimping that ordinary clamps produce. Summit Racing (& others) also sell SS conventional exhaust clamps. You still have to use conventional clamps at the hangers.
        -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
          Parks Pipes make aluminized exhaust systems (can be found by Google or ads in Hemmings or Turning Wheels),
          And even easier to find from the Studebaker vendors list attached to our own website.

www.studebakervendors.com

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I would have a more "Standard" straight and simple System made like Studebaker did on 1955 and Later cars. Just Head Pipes going down from both Manifolds and straight back, one over and one under the #2 Crossmember with a "Dip Up" over and back down of the E-Brake Cable, and on out back. Mufflers go just forward of the Differential.
            NO connections to each other or Crossover etc.

My '52 Commander had the muffler shop Tail Pipes as many modified Early Stude. V8's did, rather Close together under the rear bumper, NOT wide apart like '55's.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-10-2021, 02:37 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I put duals on my 51 years ago. I took the y pipe off and welded the y shut and used that on the right side. the head pipe for the left came from a Lark and it fit perfectly. The right side exhaust is totally factory otherwise. The left side I made myself. Turned out good. A good exhaust shop could do this for you
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Here is the completed exhaust. Done by local exhaust shop, sounds just great. Also pics of engine and tranny just before reinstall. Hugh

Comment

Somehow lost the pics. Will work on getting them up

Comment

Thanks of posting your photos, the exhaust work looks great. Who locally did the work? I recently acquired a 51 Bus Coupe that has a high performance 289 bored .080 over and it has the H crossover, would also like to convert to 2 pipes all the way back. It sounds great now but I imagine duals would sound better and provide better performance too.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	champion7 left side 1 (2).jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1889006Click image for larger version

Name:	champion27.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1889007

Comment

It appears you have a later batwing crossmember with two humps for the exhaust. My '52 only has one on the passenger side. That and the clutch mechanism on the driver's side makes it a bit more difficult on a stock car. When I spoke with Don at Silvertone he said that he couldn't help me with duals, so I plan on using a local shop when the time comes.
                      3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Huard (Hugh), that's a Great looking Job your Local Muffler Shop did!

The Pipes look like at least 2 or 2 1/4 " Pipe, way more than a 232 needs, so you'll be good to go if you ever convert it to 259/289 with the larger Port Heads. I'll bet it sounds Great though.

I see the Fuel Filter and Electric Pump behind the Center support Crossmember, but WHAT are those 2? Cylinder shaped things and Hoses or Cables behind the Engine support Crossmember? They really don't appear to be the Anti Creep Solenoid and Master Cylinder but COULD be.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-08-2021, 09:45 AM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by gjamesk View Post
                          It appears you have a later batwing crossmember with two humps for the exhaust. My '52 only has one on the passenger side. That and the clutch mechanism on the driver's side makes it a bit more difficult on a stock car. When I spoke with Don at Silvertone he said that he couldn't help me with duals, so I plan on using a local shop when the time comes.
                          The crossmembers for 51-52 automatic cars differed from manual transmission equipped ones. The automatic cars had the crossmembers with 2 humps, standards had only one.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post

The crossmembers for 51-52 automatic cars differed from manual transmission equipped ones. The automatic cars had the crossmembers with 2 humps, standards had only one.
                            Thanks Bruce for clarifying, didn't know that.
                            3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

The fuel boost pump failed after 20 seconds of operation. I did get a replacement under warranty and all is cool. Yes the items looking like cylinders are the “hill holder” roll back system and I might add work perfectly. I know the standard tranny/clutch is a headache with dual exhaust, can be done but much more problem with interference with starter, oil pan, clutch linkages etc. a solution is to separate both pipes at the Y on pax side and bring both pipes back and crossing over after crossmember into two separate. I didn’t do this for any other reason except the sounds! Just love the duals. I have painted the pipes since the pics were taken to help preserve the looks. My stipulation to the shop was no interference with emergency brake cables and to be able to move/remove for any future maintenance to the underside as well as to not see the clamps etc going down the road! Job done!

Comment

Working...
                              X