1962 170 OHV oil pump removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1962 170 OHV oil pump removal

I bought a 170 OHV engine out of a closed engine rebuilding shop. It has probably sat on a back shelf for 40 years since rebuilding. When I pulled the distributer, I found that the key on the oil pump shaft was off from horizontal by about 30 degrees. I could almost get timing with the adjustments on the base plate of the distributer, but not correctly. So I removed the oil pan and tried to remove the oil pump. I figured that the gear to the cam shaft is off probably one tooth.

The four screws came off, but the pump base only moves about 1/4 inch and stops. It can move 360 around the shaft, I was able to separate the gasket from the base, but it is hung up and will not slide out. It looks like I might be able to disconnect the shaft from the cam gear by pushing out a pin and then move the cam gear a tooth, line up the shaft and see if I got it correct. The shop manual just says remove, but what am I missing about removing the pump itself?
    Attached Files

Under that gear is a horseshoe shaped keeper,i have used a modified small roller head bar to get under the edge of the gear and pry it off. just catch a tooth or 2 and be as gentle as possible. a bolt in the body to hold it against the block will give some wiggle room. Luck Doofus

Comment

You're certainly not the first to have that question. I've disassembled dozens of different manufacturers engines and that little hidden keeper is an inexplicable design feature that no one would ever figure out on his own. That the drive gear has to be pried off the shaft to remove the keeper to remove the oil pump is unique to the Champion.

There are many other gotchas out there on other engines, but that one is ours alone.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Working...
      X