My mind can't fathom this today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: My mind can't fathom this today

I want to retard my timing a bit, but the vacuum canister is hitting the generator (OHV6) so I want to move the plug wires on the cap and adjust from there... but which way do I move them? My mind won't wrap around this today.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

First figure if you hit the generator going Clockwise from the bottom up, or going Counterclockwise from the Top Down with the Vacuum Advance.

I believe it would be the Later, but I am not there. Also remember that the Rotor turns COUNTERCLOCKWISE.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I assume you want to shift the wires one position on the distributor cap so that you can move the dist. away from the generator. Whichever way you rotate the dist. (to gain clearance) rotate the wires the other direction. Just keep the rotor pointing approximately straight forward when #1 cylinder comes up to fire.
      -Dwight
      Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 03-07-2021, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Sorry, but that works perfectly Jeff on a V8, but will not on a Six, because the Distributor only goes into the Oil Pump, not Cam "ON Time" or 180 Out.

On a Six the CORRECT way to fix this if the Wires ARE in the Cap in the "Manual suggested Rotion" and will not Time, is to remove the Camshaft, Remove the Oil Pump, Clock the Dist./Oil Pump Drive Gear and re-install the Cam & Oil Pump. Which means you tear the whole front end of the engine apart as well.

The "Easy" Fix is what Ron is trying to do, and WILL work.
        StudeRich

Comment

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So here's a photo of my Champ. Masking tape is on #1 wire. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2826.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1884190

Comment

Ron check a spare dist.IIRC the adjustment plate on the bottom is slotted for some adjustment. kinda early for brain teasers! Luck Doofus

Comment

repeat post #6

Comment

The problem with the additional slot is that it really does not help when the vacuum can is hitting the generator. If I had clearance, this could be useful.

Now that I've had coffee, I think I get it: I need to turn the distributor clockwise to get clearance, therefore I move the wires 1 place counter-clockwise to compensate. Correct?
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                  The problem with the additional slot is that it really does not help when the vacuum can is hitting the generator. If I had clearance, this could be useful.

Now that I've had coffee, I think I get it: I need to turn the distributor clockwise to get clearance, therefore I move the wires 1 place counter-clockwise to compensate. Correct?
                  Yep. You will be advancing the timing by moving the dist. CW, so you will compensate for that by moving the wires one space CCW.

Some previous owner may have installed the dist. one tooth off. Studebaker wouldn't have built them such that you couldn't adjust the timing that little bit.
                  -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

Yep. You will be advancing the timing by moving the dist. CW, so you will compensate for that by moving the wires one space CCW.

Some previous owner may have installed the dist. one tooth off. Studebaker wouldn't have built them such that you couldn't adjust the timing that little bit.
                    -Dwight
                    It would be *THIS* owner that did that. I built the engine, and thought I had it correct. The timing has been close, but I'd like to see how it performs with a little more retard, see if that changes any of my running issues.
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

I got it together and tried it today. Long story short, this engine did not like any less advance, yet 3-5 degrees more results in pinging. I'll try and find my old post about engine vacuum on this thing, and append it. I'm thinking the valve timing is off.
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Ron, you can check valve timing without taking anything apart. the manual tells how.Luck Doofus

Comment

I'll have to dig into that then!
                          Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                            Ron, you can check valve timing without taking anything apart. the manual tells how.Luck Doofus
                            Found it. Now this is a non-stock cam.would you still use 0.020" the manual calls for, or the cam card clearance? (0.014" AFAIR) I'm leaning towards cam card, but what do I know?
                            Ron Dame
                            '63 Champ

Comment

Really??? A "Performance" 3/4 Race Street Cam, re-grind for an OHV SIX? That must be really OLD!

Yes the Cam Grinders usually knew what to set the Valve Clearance at, usually quite a bit tighter than a Stock Factory Cam setting.

FYI, the Stock adjustment is .023 to .025 Cold on Both or .025 to .027 Hot, the same as a V8.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 03-10-2021, 03:20 PM.
                              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                              X