IAT rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: IAT rotor

Hello, I have a late 50 champion with the IAT distributor. I attached a pic below. The rotor looks incorrect. In fact it doesn’t look right for an early or late champion. Am I right? The car was taking a long time cranking over before starting which could be a number of things but I noticed this first.
    it also looks like a screw is missing from the base plate- discovered ground wire is missing per shop manual. Hard to believe the car even ran with wrong rotor and missing ground wire.
    Thx
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Flthdchamp; 03-04-2021, 04:07 PM.

The contact on your rotor appears to show burns from spark jumping from the carbon button in the cap. Inspect that button and the cap for carbon tracking.
    The rotor looks like AL-133 in the pic below. This distributor should have AL-115 or equivalent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1883648Click to expand

D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

There is nothing in those 2 Pics that vaguely resembles ANY Model of Stude. Champion Distributor Rotor, and I stock about THREE Types of Delco and Autolite Rotors for Champions.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thx for the responses. I’m going to replace all the ignition components. Like I said, I can’t believe it ran, held a good idle and drove -although it bogged considerably.

Comment

Jim, if you are unsure of exactly what aftermarket part numbers fit your distributor, I would strongly suggest getting the new ignition parts from a Studebaker vendor.

Here is a list of Studebaker vendors: https://www.studebakervendors.com/
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Thx Paul, I got them from Studebaker int’l

Comment

Working...
            X