1949 2R5 Window Crank Handle Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1949 2R5 Window Crank Handle Repair

The plastic knob on the window crank on one of the cranks on my 1949 2R5 truck is loose. It is held in place with a rivet, so I need to do something other than just tighten it. It is annoying to use it while being this loose.

What have others done with this? Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3415.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1883448Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3416.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1883449

Has the rivet moved within the knob, or has the flared end of the rivet lost some of its flare and receded into the pot metal crank?

Can you place the knob on a block of wood and re-flare the back side of the rivet with a center punch?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thank you for your advice. It looks like the head of the rivet is worn away. It does not look like it has backed out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3417.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1883507

Comment

Imagine that, wearing out after 71 years of use. I think these handles have been reproduced
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I can see three fixes.
          1. flare out the edges of the rivet with a punch to make the flare bigger/wider.
          2. Drill the center of the rivet, tap it, and install a small screw with a washer.
          3. Swap the handle with the passenger side.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thank you for your help. I will think about it then do something. I already had option 3 in mind.

Regarding post #4: Thanks. I checked the SI website, and found that they are available.

Comment

I am pretty sure they are NOS so when Gone, they are really GONE!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I like to see if I can repair things first, but if that doesn't work they are available. They are part number : 652204, $55.00 ea.
                Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I switched sides in my truck....... but at the 1st sign of slop, I'll pay the rate for NOS.....(12 months driving truck)

Comment

Thanks. I like to fix things, so I will try something in that manner first. If I put the door back together before I do that, then I will switch them.

Comment

Working...
                    X