Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker champion smoking blue color

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Engine: Studebaker champion smoking blue color

    I have studebaker 1948 champion v6 .
    I having problems the car smoke blue color . I already rebuild the carburetor . I check the piston presser it's good . The spark plugs get black after few times running the car. When I try to check the oil stick to check the oil livel the oil smell gasoline and the color of the oil its black . Already I charge couple times the oil and it gets back very quickly.

    I need help if someone has this problem like I have .

    Me what I'm thinking now to do. Im thinking to change piston ring but some other people tell me its the valve seals .

  • #2
    Welcome to Studebaker ownership. You say that you have good piston pressure. How did you check the pressure? Have you done a leak down test to determine valve seals are not the issue? The issue can also be corrosion buildup around the valve port. When I get an engine that has been sitting a long time, I like to fill the engine with ATF in place of oil and run it a bunch of time bringing it up to operating temperature. The ATF seems to break down the sludge, rust and gunk and clears up a lot of problems.
    Last edited by 1inxs; 03-04-2021, 05:42 AM. Reason: add to my post
    1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
    1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
    1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

    Comment


    • #3
      If your oil smells of gas, the fuel pump is bad leaking gas into the oil. It could also be pulling oil out of the pan and mixing it with the gas.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lumaanton84 View Post
        I have studebaker 1948 champion v6 .
        I having problems the car smoke blue color . I already rebuild the carburetor . I check the piston presser it's good . The spark plugs get black after few times running the car. When I try to check the oil stick to check the oil livel the oil smell gasoline and the color of the oil its black . Already I charge couple times the oil and it gets back very quickly.

        I need help if someone has this problem like I have .

        Me what I'm thinking now to do. Im thinking to change piston ring but some other people tell me its the valve seals .
        First, you have to have clean oil. And if the plugs get black, the carb is probably too rich. If it is a inline 6 flathead, valve guide seals are not an issue. A wet/dry compression test will tell you if the rings are bad. If the compression goes way up, like 20lbs or more, you have bad rings. If the compression doesn't go up, or vey little, then you have bad valves. And yes, you could have gas from the fuel pump in the oil, which, no matter what you do, will cause a lot of unwanted problems.

        Comment


        • #5
          The compression its 95 to 115 .
          I don't think it carburetor running rich . Because the smoke its blue color .

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 1inxs View Post
            Welcome to Studebaker ownership. You say that you have good piston pressure. How did you check the pressure? Have you done a leak down test to determine valve seals are not the issue? The issue can also be corrosion buildup around the valve port. When I get an engine that has been sitting a long time, I like to fill the engine with ATF in place of oil and run it a bunch of time bringing it up to operating temperature. The ATF seems to break down the sludge, rust and gunk and clears up a lot of problems.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210304-122238_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1883494

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
              If your oil smells of gas, the fuel pump is bad leaking gas into the oil. It could also be pulling oil out of the pan and mixing it with the gas.
              Studebaker 1948 don't have fuel pump .

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by yeroldad View Post

                First, you have to have clean oil. And if the plugs get black, the carb is probably too rich. If it is a inline 6 flathead, valve guide seals are not an issue. A wet/dry compression test will tell you if the rings are bad. If the compression goes way up, like 20lbs or more, you have bad rings. If the compression doesn't go up, or vey little, then you have bad valves. And yes, you could have gas from the fuel pump in the oil, which, no matter what you do, will cause a lot of unwanted problems.
                WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY Compression .

                Because compression its not mesur with LBS its Measure with PSI .
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • #9
                  It could be rings BUT the first thing to do is have the fuel pump rebuilt!! It is quite dangerous to have gas in the oil . It could EXPLODE. Seek assistance from a more experienced club member. Welcome to SDC, but learning the old car hobby with a Studebaker is a bit like learning to swim on the deep end of the pool--especially a Champion flathead 6 Get a MANUAL and study it! (Gas in the oil can cause engine to smoke)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If excess FUEL is getting into the Cylinders you WILL have some Blue OIL Smoke because the Oil is being washed off of the Cylinder Walls.

                    Either a bad Fuel Pump or Carb.

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Original '54 Starlight5.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1883545 The Fuel Pump is below the Exhaust Manifold.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-04-2021, 10:28 AM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lumaanton84 View Post

                      Studebaker 1948 don't have fuel pump .
                      How does the gas get from the gas tank to the carburetor?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DieselJim View Post

                        How does the gas get from the gas tank to the carburetor?
                        You right it passes to the fuel filter and to the fuel pump . But me I don't call that fuel pump because it's not electronic . I will buy a new one .

                        I don't think its the problem the fuel pump .

                        the fuel pump only send gas to carburetor.

                        It can't make the car smoke blue color .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          If excess FUEL is getting into the Cylinders you WILL have some Blue OIL Smoke because the Oil is being washed off of the Cylinder Walls.

                          Either a bad Fuel Pump or Carb.

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Original '54 Starlight5.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1883545 The Fuel Pump is below the Exhaust Manifold.


                          I think its piston ring probably because the spark plugs get black and on the corners get Black wet. But I will change the fuel pump . I think the fuel pump can't cause the car smoke blue.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I believe whay happens is that as gas get into the c rankcase it dilutes the oil and greatly lowers its viscosity. The level will increase and splash oil will find its way into the cumbustion chambers (and probably down valve stems as well) It doesn't take a lot to make smoke. I have experience with this problem and it can definitely make smoke!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              When I start it start making smoke as more I let it run its maks more.

                              What do I have to check . I would like to know your opinion .

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X