53 Commander C Coupe rear fold out window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 53 Commander C Coupe rear fold out window

I took my side windows apart to get the parts chromed. Now I can't seem to get the glass back in. Ripped one new rubber and now broke one glass. I also can't find the hinge rivets or pins. Anyone have any tricks up their sleeves

SI was selling rivets, Part# 265879W, listed for the top bracket of the front wing vent. I used them for all the rivets in the front wing vents AND rear quarter windows on my '53 Coupe. But when I got them they were $1 each; Last I saw they were $2.
    On a '51 Coupe I located brass rivets intended for relining brakes that were the same size. That's been a half century ago and they are still holding.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      SI was selling rivets, Part# 265879W, listed for the top bracket of the front wing vent. I used them for all the rivets in the front wing vents AND rear quarter windows on my '53 Coupe. But when I got them they were $1 each; Last I saw they were $2.
      On a '51 Coupe I located brass rivets intended for relining brakes that were the same size. That's been a half century ago and they are still holding.
      I just checked and they are listed for a dollar. I probably have those it is the long rivets for the latch. They are stepped and about 3/16 by 1/2 and by 3/4. Go through the latch and the spring. The guy in Arizona said he has never been asked for them. I could not find rivets for the door check bracket on the door ended up getting some special sex bolts that worked. Cost me about 100 for those

Comment

I have 2 C/K's and they both have those long pin/rivets in place with the mushroom ground off. been working like that for years with no problems. Luck Doofus

Comment

I am looking for those pins as I removed mine to get the parts chromed.

Comment

The rubber that SI sells for the quarter glass in coupes does not match what was org used, It is thicker, I hope to never do that job again. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 1953champcoupe View Post
              The rubber that SI sells for the quarter glass in coupes does not match what was org used, It is thicker,
              When I did mine ten years ago what I got from SI was tight, but fit perfect, and definitely seals out wind and rain.

Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The rubber that SI sells for the quarter glass in coupes does not match what was org used, It is thicker, I hope to never do that job again. Good luck.
                That is interesting. I was going to try using windshield urethane but didn't think I could center the glass being it is so hard to install.

Comment

Maybe I had better clarify, the gasket I was referring to was the one where the glass goes in the chrome frame. The Rubber gasket to seal the window assembly wasn't fun but it was doable. I have used windshield urethane on windwings for a chopped 49 ford, I was happy with the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by dave hethrington View Post
                    ended up getting some special sex bolts that worked. Cost me about 100 for those
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Maybe I had better clarify, the gasket I was referring to was the one where the glass goes in the chrome frame.
                      The frame around my glass is stainless, not chromed. That would allow for a better fit.

Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Maybe I had better clarify, the gasket I was referring to was the one where the glass goes in the chrome frame. The Rubber gasket to seal the window assembly wasn't fun but it was doable. I have used windshield urethane on windwings for a chopped 49 ford, I was happy with the outcome.
                        I got the rubber around the frame ok. The problem with the urethane is trying to put the glass in the surround frame because trying to twist around the glass. I would think it would work well on the wind wings. I was actually wondering how it would work on the door glass. I would think it would be better than the tape

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                          The frame around my glass is stainless, not chromed. That would allow for a better fit.
                          Maybe mine are polished. I had checked with a magnet and they seemed to be metal. Told the plater to chrome or polish as required. Better have a closer look

Comment

Working...
                          X