The Distributor Cap AL950 don't fit and need rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: The Distributor Cap AL950 don't fit and need rotor

I am having trouble with autozone, I got this information off the interchange sheet and some positively ID a Dist cap and rotor for my car?

289 full flow. and the cross reference is AL140 so they both may not fit

Click image for larger version  Name:	103_0178.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	1882872Click image for larger version  Name:	103_0180.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.2 KB ID:	1882873Click image for larger version  Name:	103_0179.JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.7 KB ID:	1882875
    Last edited by mw2013; 02-28-2021, 05:16 PM.

That looks like a Delco distributor. Autolite caps (identified by the "AL" in the part number) will not fit on Delco distributors. The "official" Studebaker dealers will have the right cap.

Also, those screws holding the rotor look long enough to draw some fire from the cap.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Looks to me like you have a 60-61 window type Delco distributor. Think Chevrolet. Take both the rotor and cap down and I bet you will be surprised what they find will fit.

Roy's right, an Autolite cap will not fit, nor will a standard Delco cap. Your special, and so is the distributor. Incidently, is this distributor in a 60-61 Studebaker, or in another year model? They may have just looked for the year model connection????

Bo
      Last edited by Bo Markham; 03-01-2021, 04:25 AM.
      Bo

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	103_0179.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.4 KB ID:	1882902Click image for larger version  Name:	103_0178.JPG Views:	0 Size:	119.3 KB ID:	1882901
        Click image for larger version  Name:	103_0177.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.6 KB ID:	1882903
        Last edited by mw2013; 02-28-2021, 07:31 PM.

Comment

it's a 289 full flow, but the car is a 60v lark, i saw something in SI catalog

Comment

The Delco Window Distributor belongs on a '60 Lark 259, not a '63 289 just like the Water Manifold that you tried to buy a Thermostat for a '63, and it did not fit.
            You have to understand that when someone but a '63 Block in your '60, it appears THAT is where it ends.
            That is possible because most all Stude. V8 Parts interchange.

All the correct Parts that belong on a '60 were saved and installed.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by mw2013 View Post
              it's a 289 full flow, but the car is a 60v lark, i saw something in SI catalog
              Ok. Forget for a minute that the engine is a full flow block out of late 62-64 car. Ask yourself this question? Did the installer use everything off the original 60 engine (intake, carburetor, water manifold, generator brackets, Delco window type distributor), or did they use the later model stuff?

In this particular case, Delco window type distributor, it appears the installer used the original 60-61 distributor. Ergo, you must ask for replacement parts for the original 60 model. The 63 Autolite/Prestolite cap will not fit it, as you've discovered.

As for the engine, the only time it being a later full flow block will matter, to much, is if and when you go to rebuild it. You might have a look at the serial number to determine if it is a Standard 289, or one of the R-Series performance engines. There are differences between the two, that could present the same kind of problems when ordering replacement parts for it.

What was the something you saw in the SI catalog that would lead you down the lost path?

Didn't see Rich's post, but it confirms the situation.

Bo
              Bo

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210203_105914.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.6 KB ID:	1882978 thanks gents, who know what was done during it's chain of custody, but the PO chimed back to me and said it's from a late 60's SBC.

i saw the correct cap in SI catalog

and rock auto was yet again useless, since it show the autolite cap for the 60v lark

and that the cap and rotor is new, ok so tell me if I need a new cap

????????????? the center post is almost all gone but the rest of the cap looks new?????

Click image for larger version  Name:	103_0180.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.2 KB ID:	1882976Click image for larger version  Name:	103_0144.JPG Views:	0 Size:	102.3 KB ID:	1882977
                Click image for larger version

Name:	new 60 lark dist cap bottom.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1882983Click image for larger version

Name:	new 60 lark dist cap bottom.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1882984 here's a new one i found under the 1960 in ebay the center contact is short
                Last edited by mw2013; 03-01-2021, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Look at the way the cap attaches to the distributor. See how the cap on your car has two arms that rotate?

The cap in the last picture is not correct.

You need a cap for a Delco "window" distributor. Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and hundreds of other cars in the 60's use the same cap and rotor.

There are basically three types of distributors used in "regular" (not super engines) Studebaker V-8 engines.

1. early Delco
                  2. Autolite/Prestolite
                  3. Delco window distributor

For the most part, the three will all interchange as complete assemblies, and any distributor can be installed in any Studebaker V-8 engine.

Your first set of pictures shows a replacement Autolite/Prestolite cap, alongside your Delco window cap. Your last set of pictures shows an early Delco cap.

The center contact is different, because the contact on the rotors are different for each type of distributor.

The one on your car is the Delco "WINDOW" distributor. Tell the parts people that instead of telling them you have a full flow 289. You want a cap and rotor for a Delco window distributor.

Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-02-2021, 01:32 PM.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

The original cap and rotor look pretty good, from what can be seen. What makes you think you need new ones?

What does NOT look good, are the screws holding the rotor on. They are sticking up so high, that they might draw an arc from the cap. They need to be cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      Look at the way the cap attaches to the distributor. See how the cap on your car has two arms that rotate?

The cap in the last picture is not correct.

You need a cap for a Delco "window" distributor. Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and hundreds of other cars in the 60's use the same cap and rotor.

There are basically three types of distributors used in "regular" (not super engines) Studebaker V-8 engines.

1. early Delco
                      2. Autolite/Prestolite
                      3. Delco window distributor

For the most part, the three will all interchange as complete assemblies, and any distributor can be installed in any Studebaker V-8 engine.

Your first set of pictures shows a replacement Autolite/Prestolite cap, alongside your Delco window cap. Your last set of pictures shows an early Delco cap.

The center contact is different, because the contact on the rotors are different for each type of distributor.

The one on your car is the Delco "WINDOW" distributor. Tell the parts people that instead of telling them you have a full flow 289. You want a cap and rotor for a Delco window distributor.
                      thanks RadioRoy for breaking it all down, I had the intake off so i thought i would open up the dizzy to see if it had the petronix, which it does, but i felt, (It was dark) the center contact and i have never felt one so short , so I thought it wore out, I contacted the PO and he says it is a new cap and rotor, so it was a false alarm.

the cap and rotor do look new, so today I closed her up. and will move on to the next scare

the engine runs strong and I , for the moment will not mess with the rotor hold down screw, I don't think there is a firestorm in there. but will keep that in mind

Comment

Try to stay away from Autozone except for the (overpriced) stuff on the shelf, wax, oil etc. Their staff overall is pretty much clueless except for what they can see on a screen. They know Nothing about Studebakers . BTW, the Delco window is the best of the three....consider it an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
                          Try to stay away from Autozone except for the (overpriced) stuff on the shelf, wax, oil etc. Their staff overall is pretty much clueless except for what they can see on a screen. They know Nothing about Studebakers . BTW, the Delco window is the best of the three....consider it an upgrade.
                          why is it the best , o'rielly have better service, autozone in down the street

Comment

People USED TO Love those 1960 & 1961 Lark ONLY, Delco Window Distributors, like the Greatest thing since sliced Bread!

That is now History because the ease of adjusting the Points is mute now that we have Pertronix Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits and no Points.

Some Like those Kits, and others do not like maybe being in the middle of the Mojave Desert and have the Chip Die with NO hope of finding a replacement!

The Delco Window is NOT the most durable Dist. not terrible, but not as long lasting as the Early Delco or even a updated Centrifugal Weights Prestolite used on '62 to '64 V8's.

Regarding Parts sources; ONLY Studebaker Vendors KNOW what they are selling! That is because most of us, have been there Done That!

Rich. at Studebakers Northwest
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-04-2021, 01:13 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                            X