Strange fuel delivery problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange fuel delivery problem

Maybe this should be in Stove Huggers because the problem wasn't on a Studebaker, but since it could happen to any car, why not?
    The husband of my wife's good friend died in the spring. His vehicle and pet was a '86 Jeep Comanche which he really babied. I told the friend that I would help her sell it. Well, we kind of dallied around and wasted the summer and fall. Last month, the interested buyer wanted to come down and pick it up. I thought it would be easier to just bring it to my house for him to see and hopefully pick up. Got in it and cranked- no joy even though it had been run about a month before. I thought maybe it was out of gas so I brought over a can and added five gallons or so. Still no joy. I poured a little gas in the carb and it would start right up and run for a few seconds then die. I took off the air cleaner and took off the gas line at the carb. Had the wife crank it while I watched- no gas came out. So, I figured bad fuel pump. It was parked in a grassy area and I couldn't jack it up to get under it so she agreed to have it roll backed to a shop nearby. My son works there so I knew he would be fair. He finally got it on a lift yesterday. He callled me to say that ALL the soft gas lines, even at the fuel pump, were really chewed up (literally). Either mice or squirrels had a field day. Today, new soft lines, one squirt of carb cleaner and it started and ran great.
    So, if your Studebakers sits out and it desn't want to start, you now have something else to check for.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Good advice, Paul.

It reminds me of an episode of Car Talk, when someone's parked Porsche mysteriously tried to drive itself over an embankment. Turns out some varmints had gnawed off enough wire insulation to short the starter![:0]

Andy
    62 GT

Andy
    62 GT

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k

Maybe this should be in Stove Huggers because the problem wasn't on a Studebaker, but since it could happen to any car, why not?
      The husband of my wife's good friend died in the spring. His vehicle and pet was a '86 Jeep Comanche which he really babied. I told the friend that I would help her sell it. Well, we kind of dallied around and wasted the summer and fall. Last month, the interested buyer wanted to come down and pick it up. I thought it would be easier to just bring it to my house for him to see and hopefully pick up. Got in it and cranked- no joy even though it had been run about a month before. I thought maybe it was out of gas so I brought over a can and added five gallons or so. Still no joy. I poured a little gas in the carb and it would start right up and run for a few seconds then die. I took off the air cleaner and took off the gas line at the carb. Had the wife crank it while I watched- no gas came out. So, I figured bad fuel pump. It was parked in a grassy area and I couldn't jack it up to get under it so she agreed to have it roll backed to a shop nearby. My son works there so I knew he would be fair. He finally got it on a lift yesterday. He callled me to say that ALL the soft gas lines, even at the fuel pump, were really chewed up (literally). Either mice or squirrels had a field day. Today, new soft lines, one squirt of carb cleaner and it started and ran great.
      So, if your Studebakers sits out and it desn't want to start, you now have something else to check for.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
      Museum R-4 engine
      1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
      1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
      Now those are some hungry critters to chew up rubber hoses and such!!

Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I dunno, some rubber must be tastier than others. I remember my mom parked her GTI outside for a couple weeks without driving it once and the "check engine" light was on next time she drove it, here squirrels had eaten through some of the evap emissions hoses. I was all worried that it would be something serious because I'd sold her the car!

nate

(still miss that car, only new car I've ever bought...)

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I had squirrels chew the propane flex hose on our motorhome. The little devil sat on folded up step and knawed away. I fixed the little rascal, off to Greenshields Industrial Supply, had them put rubber covered wire reinforced hose on. Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

I used to write service for GM and we would get many many cars that have sat for several months and rodents would eat the plug wires and sometimes the wire harness and short out the entire wiring harness

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
            259cid flight o matic

Comment

Working...
            X