Wiper Motor Saga Continued...Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper Motor Saga Continued...Repair

Finally, success!!! I got the electric wiper motor removed from the 62 Hawk. Now comes the sticky part... Repair.

The motor will not operate when power is applied. It used to work but without any known outside confoundment, (other than perhaps corrosion of the bearing surfaces) it does not work now. I figure at least new brushes are in order, as well as testing the field coils and the armature coils for continuity.

Has anyone ever repaired such a motor (Autolite Type)? What do I need to look for or be aware of? How to pull the brushes back until I get the rear cover back on?

Or, is there someone I can send it to and have it repaired or should I just buy a new one?

I looked in the Studebaker International Catalog, but find no replacement brush set for the Autolite Motor, where can I get a replacement set? Likewise, I don't see a replacement motor for 1962 Hawk. I do see a replacement for 1963 - 1964 Hawk, are they the same as for 1962?

Any other information that anyone may have is appreciated.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

The problem may be nothing more than a buildup of gummy crud that prevents the brushes from making good contact with the commutator.

Just take the unit apart, clean it thoroughly, and shine up the commutator with a little crocus cloth or very fine emery cloth.

Unless the brushes are worn down to nubbins, just ensure they move freely in the holders, and it should be good for years.

I don't remember the specific "trick" to hold the brushes back while you reassemble the motor, but there obviously has to be one. One thing that might work is to put a few drops of CLEAN water on each brush, push them back and hold them with a socket or something, and put the end cap with the brushes in the deep freeze for few hours. That will give you a minute or two to assemble the motor before the ice melts and releases them. Clean water is pretty non-corrosive.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord, splendid idea putting them in the deep freeze. Ever since Les Anglais exiled us to Louisiana from Acadie (aka Nova Scotia), we don't think much about freezing things. Particularly since it rarely freezes outside a deep freezer!!![)]

Comment

Comment

Il fait chaud ici!! Humide et chaud! - 78F!!

Comment

I took the motor apart and it was terribly dirty!! I merely cleaned everything, sanded the commutator and the brushes. Had to re-solder the brushes. Everything works again!!

Comment

Working...
            X