X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to POR-15

Stacey David mentioned this stuff:

http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

I've had no problems with POR-15, but have only used it a couple times, and all but one left my possession, so I wonder how it lasts long-term. I have heard many positive testimonials here, though.

So the question is, has anyone used this stuff?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I painted the frame and both sides of the floorboards on the 51 back in 1985 and it is still there. 91000 miles since I redid the car.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Thanks, good to hear from somebody that has used it. Have you ever used POR-15, and if so how does it compare to this stuff?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

POR-15 is whats on there. I didn't make myself real plane Sorry about that.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
        As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Ah, OK.

I've heard plenty about POR-15. Does anybody know about this "Chassis Saver"?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary
              I'll chime in before anyone gets confused. I've used Extend before, and yes, it's a converter. BUT, POR-15 is NOT that kind of product, as it does not chemically affect the rust (if you have mild rust or more, they recommend POR-15's Metal Prep, which is an acid, prior to coating with POR-15). POR-15 and Chassis Saver are a newer breed of product than the rust converters. A good name for them is "Rust Encapsulators", and they are impermeable coatings. The idea is that rust needs air and moisture to grow. POR-15 and other coatings seal in the rust, thus it can't do further damage.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
              Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Thanks for the update on the products Tex (DilloCrafter). I have used Extend, POR-15, and another product(might be from Rustoleum), and have had good results with all. I think the main thing is to do good preparation and follow the instructions. For some reason, I like your model of truck.
                [img][/img]

John Clary
                Greer, SC
                SDC member since 1975
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have used Rust Bullet on some floor pan replacements with good results:

http://www.rustbullet.com:80/Product...Automotive.htm

Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  58 C Cab
                  57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Yes I have used Chassis Saver. I works well painted the fram of my lark with it 3 years ago and several truck frames as well. Holds up great to Western Pennsylvania winters. I have never used POR-15 but from what my friends have said its about the same stuff, that said and no experience using POR-15; Chassis Saver will not stick to paint it has to be all rust or all sand blasted also don't get it on your skin it only comes off by mechanical removal methods. Also it is UV sensitive so exposed areas need top coated. I have used gloss black, semi-gloss black and silver. I believe there is also clear availble however the FLAPS doesn't carry it, beside why would anyone clearcoat rust? Finally the semi-gloss blck tended to get splotchy ranging from gloss to flat.
                    Edit according to the website there is no clear I will inquire at the parts store later. Bams if you are interested check locally for this product those website prices seem high

Comment

Working...
                    X