Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Champ uphlostery

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interior: Champ uphlostery

    Did the '63 Champs come with either vinyl and/or fabric seat inserts? Reason I'm asking is my '63 8E-T4 has fabric on seat bottom and seat back. Vinyl on other areas. Don't know if it's original or if PO had it reupholstered. Colors look stock. But since in 1963 trucks were actually used as trucks I can't imagine fabric being very durable.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2820.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1881735Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2822.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1881736Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2821.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1881737

  • #2
    I'll have to look, as I've had an NOS set of this stuff put away for many years, and can't actually remember. I want to say it is more like nylon then simple cloth. But, don't quote me on it, until I've had a chance to look at the set.

    Bo

    Comment


    • #3
      All the Champ seat covers for '63 and '64 (8E) - had the greyish ribbed vinyl seating/back rest area and tan vinyl trim, regardless of trim or exterior color. A cloth cover was not offered because for what you stated - utility vehicle don't use cloth. Someone redid your covers and did a good job and matched the old vinyl pretty well.

      Below is a photo of an original 8E seat cover - thanks for sharing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Looked at the NOS set I have. Looks exactly like that pictured by Patrick.

        Bo

        Comment


        • #5
          OK with some research it appears "Patrick" is "62champ" not rbisacca, so we know Vinyl Reinforced Fabric IS correct, not Cloth.

          "Handles" vs Names, always confusing.
          When I know someone personally, I have used their actual Name on the Forum, but it can get very confusing to others.

          Notice that the Upper Portion of rbisacca's Seat material does not match the Bolster/Side Trim material and the stitching is more exposed unlike the Original. But, this is a very nice re-upholstery job.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

          Comment


          • #6
            A number of years ago I was able to source NOS Champ upholstery from Rene Harger, South East Studebaker. No idea if he still has any.
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

            40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

            * Formerly owned

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 62champ View Post
              All the Champ seat covers for '63 and '64 (8E) - had the greyish ribbed vinyl seating/back rest area and tan vinyl trim, regardless of trim or exterior color. A cloth cover was not offered because for what you stated - utility vehicle don't use cloth. Someone redid your covers and did a good job and matched the old vinyl pretty well.

              Below is a photo of an original 8E seat cover - thanks for sharing.

              These are exactly like the upholstery in my ‘62 7E7, so maybe mine was a replacement. The ribbed vinyl portions in my Champ have a slight silvery/pearl tone to them, but from this picture they’re a perfect match.

              Comment


              • #8
                SASCO sold these as replacements for a number of years. That's how I came to have them.

                Bo

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

                  Notice that the Upper Portion of rbisacca's Seat material does not match the Bolster/Side Trim material and the stitching is more exposed unlike the Original. But, this is a very nice re-upholstery job.
                  Rich, Look closer. Except for area right behind driver, upper portion is exactly the same as side trim. Area behind driver and to a lesser extent upper part of backrest is discolored, probably from sun. I also did notice difference in stitching.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post

                    These are exactly like the upholstery in my ‘62 7E7, so maybe mine was a replacement. The ribbed vinyl portions in my Champ have a slight silvery/pearl tone to them, but from this picture they’re a perfect match.
                    This is what the original seat cover in you 7E would have looked like - one year only item and only in a single color...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 62champ View Post

                      This is what the original seat cover in you 7E would have looked like - one year only item and only in a single color...

                      Very nice, thanks for sharing here.

                      I almost never see my actual upholstery, since I use a white bedsheet to cover it when driving and hauling stuff around.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X