Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1951 car frame part id - transport brackets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank DuVal
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Also we HAVE seen those Loops installed at a Body Shop to "Pull" a Frame when wrecked.
    Our pull loops were 1 1/2" washers we would weld to frame rails to pull in a particular spot when the vehicle was on a frame machine or tied to floor pots. Usually we would grind them off, but sometimes they got undercoated and vehicle was delivered.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    Why in the world would the paint shop steal fenders and trunk lids? What could they possibly want with body parts from a 70 year old orphan brand? Why am I having so much trouble wrapping my head around something this senseless?
    Shop owner or an employee in financial issues or drugs and needs quick cash. Has contacts in the old car community that lead to someone looking for said parts... A bullet nose SLC popular for rodding...

2000-2001 era I had problems with a chrome shop getting my parts returned after like 2+ years. I'd pre-paid (naive me) and they didn't have a lot of incentive to return them. Took some effort on my part getting the DA's office in that city after them to get some action. Fortunately, I did get the parts back, but not before purchasing replacements in case of the worst case.

Seems like for body shops if its not insurance work there is little incentive to get anything done promptly and "take your time" means it sets around a long time and the risk of damage/shop closes/fire/theft/etc goes up.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Why in the world would the paint shop steal fenders and trunk lids? What could they possibly want with body parts from a 70 year old orphan brand? Why am I having so much trouble wrapping my head around something this senseless?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    I looked through my album for that car and the only underside pics I have are of the traction bars (it was a Studillac). But as far as I remember, the tie down loops were in pretty much the same location as the pics posted above of the ‘51. Right next to the body mounts where the frame rail slopes.

There weren’t any on the rear.
    Thanks for checking!

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnMSeymour View Post

I have seen this car near me in Southern California. I think it was sold with a parts car that I was interested in.

John
    Yep - came to Texas the first week in January - parts car ended up being more like a Texas parts car that had sat outside for 50 years than a SoCal parts car - rear of deck lid rusted out, spare tire well has no bottom, front fenders have rust in rear and front, etc...

Leave a comment:

• JohnMSeymour
    replied
    Originally posted by 62champ View Post

It was getting there - guy lost interest after spending $5000 on the motor, $5000 on chrome (2005) only to have the front clip, hood, both doors, rear fenders, and deck lid stolen by the guys doing the body work/paint.

I have seen this car near me in Southern California. I think it was sold with a parts car that I was interested in.

John

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post

Matt, do you have any pictures of that? Curious where on the later frames these were at... Were there also another set of them at the rear too?

I've hauled my '53 K many times and its sort of a pain to connect the tie-downs under there, maybe I need to make me a set of these...
    I looked through my album for that car and the only underside pics I have are of the traction bars (it was a Studillac). But as far as I remember, the tie down loops were in pretty much the same location as the pics posted above of the ‘51. Right next to the body mounts where the frame rail slopes.

There weren’t any on the rear.
    Last edited by mbstude; 02-23-2021, 04:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I believe at some point about 1962 or earlier, the Lower Front "A" Arm Shafts starting coming with the Tie Down "Loops" on them to secure the front End to a Shop Floor a Auto Carrier or a Boat.

Also we HAVE seen those Loops installed at a Body Shop to "Pull" a Frame when wrecked.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-23-2021, 12:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    Yes, they’re just tie down loops. I think the dealers were supposed to remove them. My ‘53 Starliner still had them in place.

Seems kinda silly to put a rusty body shell on a detailed frame.
    Matt, do you have any pictures of that? Curious where on the later frames these were at... Were there also another set of them at the rear too?

I've hauled my '53 K many times and its sort of a pain to connect the tie-downs under there, maybe I need to make me a set of these...

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Originally posted by mbstude View Post
    Kidding aside, I wonder why he didn’t paint the frame black.
    I have wondered that as well. From what the second owner was saying, I am not sure the person doing the restoration is currently living. But he wanted to be correct to an extent, but not 100% factory - in some of the paper work, there is an inquiry to SMS interiors looking into whether or not they have some 1958 Edsel fabric, which had some metalic colored threads - who knows.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Oh, I figured as much, just being silly.

Kidding aside, I wonder why he didn’t paint the frame black.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Originally posted by mbstude View Post
    It was getting there - guy lost interest after spending $5000 on the motor, $5000 on chrome (2005) only to have the front clip, hood, both doors, rear fenders, and deck lid stolen by the guys doing the body work/paint.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Yes, they’re just tie down loops. I think the dealers were supposed to remove them. My ‘53 Starliner still had them in place.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    I would assume you are correct, that those are to hook tie-downs to during transport.

You mentioned it was getting a 'pretty intense restoration'............that looks to be the case from the stenciled part number applied the frame.

Leave a comment:

• 1951 car frame part id - transport brackets?

Cousin acquired a 1951 Starlight that a previous owner was doing a pretty intense restoration on until a body/paint guy walked off with all the unbolted sheet metal to never be seen again.

One of the things I noticed on the finished frame were two oval shaped brackets that are located just rear of the cowl body mounts. Do not recall seeing these before and was thinking they might be the brackets used in transport to hold the vehicle to what ever was moving it - or did they have another purpose. Thanks ahead.

Working...
X