New bias ply tires bumpy ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: New bias ply tires bumpy ride

I recently replaced my cracked 30-year-old Remington G 78 x 15 tires with brand new Coker G 78x1 5 tires. These are for a 56 Golden Hawk. Now the ride is bumpy. Seems like I can feel and hear every little bump in the road whereas before it was a much smoother ride. Any explanation for this? Thank you in advance!!

What tire pressure did you fill them to? Check your operators guide to see what Studebaker recommended...

Comment

I followed the recommended tire pressure. 26lbs for the front, 22lbs for the rear. I then tried 30lbs for all tires, no change

Comment

Is the ride bumpy at all times or just initially? If these are nylon, they sometimes take a set. If that is the case, they are usually ok after they warm up.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Sounds like you got one of their better lots
          '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

If your Bias Ply Tires have Nylon Cord they will need to "warm up" before smoothing out, they may have "Flat spotted" from sitting.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I haven't driven the car more than 10 miles, so they probably aren't "warmed up". These were brand new shipped to me from Coker. If I'm on a smooth street the ride is very smooth. I don't suspect any flat spot from sitting. As soon as the road has bumps, the ride gets rough. The old tires were similar but much less of a rough ride on a rough road.

Comment

Is it coming from one tire or are all four the same? Are the new tires bias or bias belted? It sounds a bit like a broken or misaligned belt. The tires are unused, but how long ago were they manufactured? They should have a date code. Check all four. I would go back to 26/22 psig for pressure.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It's coming from mostly the back tires but also the front somewhat. Not sure if they are belted bias. I 'll check the date code and look into if they are bias belted, . thank you,

Comment

If you are using original rims the G78 tire maybe a bit big to work well.

Comment

IMHO, it is just the nature of the reproduction bias ply tires. I have a set of repop Firestones for my 69 Z/28. I can't stand driving it on those. They remain bagged up on the original rallye wheels. I run Centerline wheels with a modern radial for every day driving. 100x better.

BTW, Studebaker recommended 26 front and 24 rear. For me, I can't bring myself to put less air in the front than the rear on a rear wheel drive car. I would run 26 F 28R; the extra in the rear helps the car to understeer just a bit, which comes in handy because most drivers tend to over compensate.

JMHO. YMMV.

Comment

The date code was June 2020 so the tires are quite new, The old G78 x 15 tires I had were fine. I switched out the tires with some radials from another Hawk that rides very smooth, No difference!! So, it's not the tires. It seems that it was coincidental that I developed the problem right about the time I installed the new tires. Maybe a suspension issue or a rattle that is disguised as a bumpy ride. Back to the drawing board!! Thank you for all the input.

Comment

OK how about the AGE of the Shocks?
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

When you switched out the tires did you use the same rims? Possibly a bent wheel?
                            78 Avanti RQB 2792
                            64 Avanti R1 R5408
                            63 Avanti R1 R4551
                            63 Avanti R1 R2281
                            62 GT Hawk V15949
                            56 GH 6032504
                            56 GH 6032588
                            55 Speedster 7160047
                            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Bias ply tires are good for bicycles and tractors, I like radial plys on cars if I can find right size for the rims.

Comment

Working...
                              X