Cold Feet in '61 Hawk - solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Cold Feet in '61 Hawk - solution

Well. I finally got tired of cold feet in my '61 Hawk. Plenty of heat comes from the passenger seat heater. But that does not make its way to driver's foot well. I solved this by fabricating and inserting a "Tee" into the driver's side defroster supply air duct, with the side of the Tee diverting warm air to my feet. I could not find a pre made Tee valve that would fit the hose, so I made one.

Here's how I did it. I found cardboard tube that was the slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the air hose. About 2" if I remember right. But check your own hose to be sure. I then fabricated a Tee from the cardboard tubing and glued it up. I think I used a paper towel roll, but not 100% sure as I had various things laying around.

As cardboard, it is quite delicate. To stiffen it up, I wrapped the cardboard tee with a light fiberglass tape and epoxy. Once it set up, I pulled out the cardboard (mostly) sanded the rough edges out. The final OD was the ID of the defroster air hose. Finally, I installed a simple air damper valve in the Tee where the air discharged to my feet to regulate flow and insure that there was enough flow to the defroster. I did this by hole cutting a disc of thin plywood to serve as a damper, then drilling a hole in the tee for a piece of wood dowel. I then pushed the dowel into the holes, attached the circular plywood and bingo, instant damper. I sprayed it semi flat black so that it blends into the dash plumbing in case any mice happen to be critiquing my work.

I find that it takes about 1/4 open on the damper for sufficient air flow to my feet with no noticeable impact on defrost air flow. One can reach up under the dash and adjust manually by feel without have to go upside down to do it. Unfortunately, I did not take any photos until after it was installed. So here it is installed. Not pretty. But functional, or so the mice have told me.

Any questions, send them along.

Al K

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6104.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1879524

Very creative, i like it!!!! Luck Doofus

Comment

Good work! About 30 years ago, I did something similar using a pvc fitting and a piece of black flex hose. However, I did not make a valve as you have done. I rarely drove the Hawk in bad weather and don’t recall issues with defrosting the windshield. It was so long ago that until you posted this I had forgotten about that little modification.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

and BTW, just out of curiosity: was 1962 the 1st year for the 2nd accessory under seat heater core ??
        Last edited by jackb; 02-09-2021, 05:25 AM. Reason: clarify

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
          and BTW, just out of curiosity: was 1962 the 1st year for the 2nd accessory under seat heater core ??
          I got one from a 58 or 60 Hawk some twenty five years ago. Don't know if it was correct for that year or not.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Had just the opposite problem in my first Lark (62 Regal four door) - my right foot would get so hot I carried a small piece of cardboard to deflect air away from that area.

IIRC - the auxiliary heater hung under the dash and probably addressed that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post

I got one from a 58 or 60 Hawk some twenty five years ago. Don't know if it was correct for that year or not.
              I bought an NOS aux heater from Tom K about 30 years ago for the 56J. It works great, but I just removed it last summer after the core began leaking, it still had the original hoses which were still pliable (compare to modern hose rubber). An easier, first step in warming the cabin is to install a 195 stat in winter, even in California. In summer, a 180 will do fine if the cooling system is up to par. Long story, but I have not ran a 160 stat in a Studebaker for many years.

The BEST solution I found was an AC evaporator that included a heater coil. In winter, when combined with the OEM Climatizer it will run you out of the car, even at 20 below zero (been there). It also makes the OEM defrosters (either type) work much better in summer's high humidity and rain, if the AC is used simultaneously with the Climatizer.
              Last edited by JoeHall; 02-15-2021, 06:20 AM.

Comment

I picked up a 61 Hawk Parts car and it had the driver's side auxiliary heater. It is "cataloged" with the other extra parts I assume it was a org accessory.

Comment

BTDT (Itasca, IL. 1967)

Click image for larger version

Name:	'67chicago2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1880567
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

🥴Always thought a fastback would look good on an earlier Hawk?

Comment

Working...
                    X