Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reproduction Gt door chevrons keep fading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Reproduction Gt door chevrons keep fading.

The Red White Blue chevrons on my 64 GT are new reproductions. The problem I have with them is after less than a year they fade really badly. Has anyone found a better material to replace the colored plastic inserts that will hold up better? I have replaced these things twice in less than two years.

Reproductions..........once when I complained about a reproduced item, I was told by the vendor (who was the one that actually had the repros done) that the reason the item faded (not a chevron but a similar exterior item) was because I drove the car frequently. He said the parts were meant for show cars that rarely were in the sun. Who woulda thunk it??

As far as the GT chevrons, my originals on my '64 GT were faded after 45 years, so I went to a sign maker and showed it to him, and got some scraps of red, white, and blue vinyl that they used to make exterior signs. Offered to pay, but he said no charge, Cut them out and used some contact cement to glue them in. Worked well and cost nothing.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

When I replaced the door chevrons on the 63GT with new repros, in less than a year most of the stick-on color blocks had fallen off. When I later had the car re-painted I had the body man just fill in the holes, and left the chevrons off.

Comment

Problem that I can see is after you fix the colors so they don't fade then in a couple more years the cheap chrome will start to come off. Only way to most likely fix it is have someone like Jerry Forester rechome them and use decals for the colors.
        Last edited by showbizkid; 02-14-2021, 06:10 PM. Reason: No ethni slurs please.

Comment

Paint should work fine.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            Reproductions..........once when I complained about a reproduced item, I was told by the vendor (who was the one that actually had the repros done) that the reason the item faded (not a chevron but a similar exterior item) was because I drove the car frequently. He said the parts were meant for show cars that rarely were in the sun. Who woulda thunk it??
            That's a disappointing answer. There should be a notation that these parts are inferior to originals, and therefore aren't suitable for use other than a placeholder until proper parts are found, before you make the purchase. Would also hope that the vendor would be looking for a source or a way to manufacture something better in the future.

Are the original parts vacuum metalized?

Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

I've painted many of these type of emblems with testors model enamel. It works great. Sure, it doesn't last forever but neither did the original paint. It'll only cost you about $6 AND, you get to exercise your artistic ability and say "YOU" fixed it.

Comment

This problem has bothered me with my GT for many years also. I’m going to experiment with powder coating. Just got the powders in the mail today for the project as a matter of fact.
                I’m planning on coating all 3 segments in white first, which will then be a good base for the red and blue segments.
                I’ll let you all know how my project turns out.

Comment

ColoradoHawk. No using the wife's oven to bake..

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Hunter View Post

That's a disappointing answer. There should be a notation that these parts are inferior to originals, and therefore aren't suitable for use other than a placeholder until proper parts are found, before you make the purchase. Would also hope that the vendor would be looking for a source or a way to manufacture something better in the future.

Are the original parts vacuum metalized?
                    One other thing, the repros do not fit the factory drilled holes as well the pins are spread out further and you have to re-drill one hole.

Comment

As per Paul in post#2, I installed the vinyl pieces. They looked great and that was done in 1968. It still looks great today, 53 years later.
                      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                        As per Paul in post#2, I installed the vinyl pieces. They looked great and that was done in 1968. It still looks great today, 53 years later.
                        Bill
                        This makes me seriously wonder what was used on the repros I mentioned above. Clearly something very inferior, as they weren't even on there long enough to fade, before they just fell off. In retrospect, maybe I shoulda replaced the stick-ons with something from a sign shop. Hopefully I did not throw the metal bases away but, if so, I would not waste $ on another pair.
                        Last edited by JoeHall; 02-12-2021, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Right now, I am experimenting with some acrylic paint I purchased at an arts and craft supply. It is thick paint in 2 oz bottles for a dollar. I was able to pour it into the 3 recesses for each color. After 72 hrs you bake it in an over. It is UV fade resistant and waterproof. Results are pending.

Comment

I forgot to mention in my post# 11 that there was a very noticeable grain to the vinyl which may have contributed to its longevity.

Comment

Working...
                            X