No announcement yet.

'55 temp gauge reading low...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: '55 temp gauge reading low...

Relative's '55 F4 temp gauge in original cluster is not reading correctly.

Car has a 1964, 289 and has been converted over to 12 volts. Have not looked at the back of the gauge to see if it has a voltage drop.

When grounding the gauge wire to the block, it will go to H. Took out old sending unit (guage would show no movement) and replaced with one of the new replacement senders. This finally got the gauge needle to move, but not much. Auxiliary gauge will show @170, but gauge in cluster will move up the the mark that indicates cold - no further.

Any ideas to get the cluster gauge to show more accurately? Thanks ahead.

Does it have a 6v sender. Guess I'd start there. When gage goes it just goes and does't read at all.

Comment

The gauge and the sender both have to be matching units, either both 6 volts with a Runtz regulator on the gauge, or both 12 volts.

Runtz was another great thing we got from Randy Rundle, R.I.P.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thanks so far - The gauge needle does move, but it only comes up to the cold line on the gauge face but does not go any further.

I believe the sender is probably a 12v so I will get check behind the gauge cluster to see if there is anything that might have changed the voltage to the gauge.

Comment

If the sender is a 12 volt model, then that is the problem, or at least part of the problem.

The gauge and the sender must match. The resistance range of the 12 volt units is different than the range of the 6 volt units. Same deal with the gas gauge.

Since the 54 dash has 6 volt gauges, the proper way to deal with this is to install a 6 volt sender on the engine, then drop the voltage at the gauge with a Runtz unit or equivalent.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
          X