Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(NEW QUESTION) order for front fender with vents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (NEW QUESTION) order for front fender with vents?

Well, on my "some assembly required" '48 Champion I am ready to try to re-hang the front sheet metal. It came to me (Cross country on a car carrier up-front position over the truck's cab) with three bolts holding each fender on[:0][:0] Two at the cowl/firewall and one at the radiator support.[V]
    The exterior fender vent doors are on, but that is it. The ducting and boxes([?]) are not on the car, but I have all the parts (I think) and they are not rusty! I am waiting for the seal kit from Stude Intl., part #800000.
    What is the assembly order or procedure? I do have the parts manuals and shop manual. Do you assemble the "shround ventilator" parts, mount to car and then hang the fender? Or hang the fender and then assemble the other parts? I think I saw this addressed a few years ago on this forum, but didn't find it.
    Thanks for the help.

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

When assembling the front clip of my '55 (I know, its not a '48) I mounted the fenders, attached them to the radiator support, added the air deflector below the grill, and eventually put the air ducting on. (one still is off) The pass side included the heater motor which went in after the ducting was in. It might have been easier earlier, but I couldn't figure out how to 'hit' the target with the ducting.

Once the fender was in place, I put the rear section, with its insulation glued in place then using masking tape held the front section on until I got screws into the two pieces.

I'm waiting for nice weather to put the driver's side on.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

All I can say on the matter is it is not fun But I did it. I put the fenders on The Prez and all the duct work. Was a Bugger and a half Fender first then duct work.

Mabel 1949 Champion
      1957 Silverhawk
      1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      1955 President State
      1957 Golden Hawk
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Don't forget to put a jack stand under the corner and pull the wheel. I 'spect you can do it with the wheel in place, but as hard as it is, don't make it harder.

Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Tom B

Don't forget to put a jack stand under the corner and pull the wheel. I 'spect you can do it with the wheel in place, but as hard as it is, don't make it harder.

Tom Bredehoft

Thanks for that advice. I probably would have tried to work around it without thinking about it.[)]

Anyone else[?]

KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Comment

John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

And that would be me.

Mabel 1949 Champion
              1957 Silverhawk
              1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              1955 President State
              1957 Golden Hawk
              Fresno,Ca
              Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              The Prez 1955 President State
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
              Fresno,Ca

Comment

I have always hung the fenders first on 47-52 models. This way I can do any adjustment without the duct work interference. I always remove the wheel as indicated in order to get to it easier. I install the back portion first, then the front, bolt it together and then install the short 4" diameter hose to the blower mower. It is easier to get to the back 3 bolts that bolt the fender to the cowl if the duct work is not present.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk
                1964 Convertable
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1950 Commander Starlight

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

O.K. Got the seal kit from S.I. Got C,D,& E figured out. Help me out with A & B in relation to my right side duct (with numbers).

Although, why are there cutouts in D?

And has anyone put E on the doors, rather than on the fender opening? Seems to me as far as moisture is concerned, it would dry better and retain less in the fender recess. Thoughts or experience?

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Comment

Kurt

From your numbers, A = 2, B = 1. Wrap them around the air opening to the fender and body before you clamp the air box on.

As far as E placement, You are dealing with forces we mear mortal Studebaker owners can not comprehend. This is Studebaker Design by the highest authority. [}] In the real world, the gaskets should be closed cell foam with little or no water absorption and the vent edges will seal into the foam when applied as recommended.

Bob [)]

Comment

Thank you, thank you, S.O.Bob
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Comment

FROM ABOVE PICTURE:

Why is "A" 1 1/2" too short in length?
                        &
                        Why is "B" 2 3/4" too short in length?

Are they supposed to be, or do we just accept this "'cause that's all that's available."?

If that gap is supposed to be there, where to position it (to keep water, air and noise out)?

KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Comment

Working...
                        X