Paint Color Help for 54 Commander Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Paint Color Help for 54 Commander Grill

Hi, does any one know what color the grill (where the “teeth” are) should be painted? Can someone post a good picture of this? My chrome guy says it is a silver. BTW, this picture is of someone else’s Commander that I found on the internet. Thanks, Larry

Argent.....
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Gary. A quick internet search shows Sherwin Williams™ SW4052 Argent. It looks like a light grey.

Comment

Argent, as I stated, is the correct answer. I have used Rustoleum Silver for this location.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Argent is French for silver
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

When I did my '53 I painted that part of the grill with Rustoleum Chrome.
            It's nothing like Chrome, but a damn good Argent.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thank you all for the information and advice.

Comment

Argent silver or a metallic silver flake (small flakes). Wheel paint is a good place to look.

Jeff in ND

Comment

If you are looking at spray can stuff, I wonder how well this would match for you? I used it on AMC rally wheels and it worked out great!

EASTWOOD RALLY WHEEL/ARGENT SILVER PAINT AEROSOL: https://www.eastwood.com/ew-rally-wh...eos-12-oz.html
                  -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                  1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                  1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                  1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

A clarification: "Argent Silver" for GM applications actually has a bit of gold-tone to it. If this is not what you're after, it's probably wise to do a test to make certain what you've bought matches what you want before spraying the whole thing

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

This is certainly news to me I have never heard of painting the grill, I have a 54 Champion and the grill components are all chrome. I had mine re-plated, the only evidence of any paint is inside the letters. My question is, were some models chrome and some painted? I know there are different trim packages, are there different grill finish packages?

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                        This is certainly news to me I have never heard of painting the grill, I have a 54 Champion and the grill components are all chrome. I had mine re-plated, the only evidence of any paint is inside the letters. My question is, were some models chrome and some painted? I know there are different trim packages, are there different grill finish packages?
                        The "floor" of the grille openings on 1953s and 1954s (all models) had an area painted argent. The paint was over the chrome and has worn off or been polished off on some.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	54 Conestoga O.D..jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.5 KB ID:	1879530Click image for larger version  Name:	54CommConestogaGreenGreen.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	1879531Click image for larger version  Name:	assets.newatlas.com.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.7 KB ID:	1879532
                          It is easier to see the Silver Paint in the inboard Corners in a Photo, due to poor lighting.
                          Different Trim Levels or Body Types did not affect Grilles, only adding Mouldings.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

After reading various comments about the 53-54 Champion and Commander grills, they may not have been of the highest quality finish in the first place. It was further commented that during that time the Korean War was in action and chromium, copper products and quality pot metal was in short supply for the car manufactures. It is determined by my own deduction that the poor quality "chrome" was covered over with silver paint to enhance the appearance. As the paint wore off the truth was revealed. After I had mine re-plated they are flawless and I will not be painting them at $2000 for the pair.

Comment

After reading various comments about the 53-54 Champion and Commander grills, they may not have been of the highest quality finish in the first place. It was further commented that during that time the Korean War was in action and chromium, copper products and quality pot metal was in short supply for the car manufactures. It is determined by my own deduction that the poor quality "chrome" was covered over with silver paint to enhance the appearance. As the paint wore off the truth was revealed. After I had mine re-plated they are flawless and I will not be painting them at $2000 for the pair.
                              I disagree with your assumption ("deduction"). The entire chrome part was NOT painted. Only the "floor" section was painted. This maintained the chrome ring of the grille for the proper appearance.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X