Steering wheel spline difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering wheel spline difference

My understanding is that the splines on the steering column are different between pre-and post-56, right? I have a 56 with a ruined wheel, and I want to figure out if a different wheel will work without having to buy one and return (or resell) if it doesn’t fit...
    anybody got a spare steering wheel that’ll work on my Hawk? I was gonna get mine redone by the Shrock guys but it looks like they retired...
    Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

You are correct. It's not just splines, but it's about shaft diameter.

Steering wheels from 53 to 56 will work on your 56 Hawk. The C/K wheels are an inch smaller in diameter than the sedan wheels.

We have had several lengthy discussions on this same subject within the last year.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-29-2021, 01:06 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The '57 to '60 Steering Wheels have the "Deep Safety Center", so if they were adapted to Fit a '53 to '56, the Wheel would be too close to the Driver without shortening the Steering Gear Shaft.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The '57 to '60 Steering Wheels have the "Deep Safety Center", so if they were adapted to Fit a '53 to '56, the Wheel would be too close to the Driver without shortening the Steering Gear Shaft.
        57 to 60 steering columns also have a smaller steering shaft diameter, so those steering wheels will not fit on a 56. Maybe Studebaker engineers did that on purpose?
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Does anyone have a picture of what the back of a 56 steering wheel looks like?
          Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

Working...
          X