62-63 GT Door Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 62-63 GT Door Questions

Question one. I'm replacing my 1962 GT door with a 63. As far as I can tell, no real differences. The window guide on the 62 has plastic gliders (like a drawer at home) for the window to easily slide up and down. The 63 door didn't come with this. Should they be there?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220874.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1876379

The second question:

What do you suppose this hole in the door was for? A spot light? It's just forward of the mirror mounting holes.

Name:	P1220872.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1876380
    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

The 1963 door has more holes in the exterior than a 1962 door (chevrons).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Perhaps it was someone's antirattle experiment. The window channel in back had track and spring loaded rollers on the bottom of the window frame. SI sells these roller kits and I've used them. The front of the window slides up and down in a 'catwhisker' type channel. That is always worn out or just gone---big rattle maker. I believe parts dealers may have kits for them . Don't forget the door 'catwhisker belts. My 61 Hawk came with a spot light--it was originally owned by a Texas sheriff who ordered it that way. That's exactly where it is. Can't say I've used it much but it sure is one bright light! If you can save weatherstrip around wing window save it cause none of the replacements fit and you won't be able to fully close the vent window. Good luck and have fun. (I have used the super heavy duty exterior Velcro stick on to reline window guide channels in other cars.)

Comment

That Hole looks Big enough to be a Exterior Loud Speaker! Looks like it is pushing 3 inches!
        Usually, a Spotlight shaft hole is small.
        The Hole down below is the size of a Door Lock, I am pretty sure you DO have the Forward end of the Door!

That Door would not be my first choice to use. All '57, '58 and '62 to '64 Hardtop Doors should work with Moulding and Nameplate holes etc. to add and delete on some.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          That Hole looks Big enough to be a Exterior Loud Speaker! Looks like over 3 inches! Usually, a Spotlight hole is small.
          The Hole down below is the size of a Door Lock, I am pretty sure you DO have the Forward end of the Door!
          I'll have to take a better picture of it tomorrow. The hole is on the top front of the drivers door. Just ahead of the mirror mounting holes. It's about 1"-1 1/4" estimated diameter. I know it does look huge in the photo. The paint is also on the edge and the hole is smooth. Maybe who ever drilled the hole filed it smooth? The paint looks original as it color is consistent with the inside of the door as well.

Name:	P1220862.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1876452
          "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Here is, hopefully a better picture of the hole in question.

Name:	P1230834.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1876790

It's about 1 1/2" in diameter.
            "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Spotlights usually go through the A pillar, but some liked them in the door because you could swing the light around with the door. Perhaps it had a remote control mirror mounted there. Simply fill the hole.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A 1 1/2" hole is huge. It could be for a spotlight but I doubt for a remote mirror. As far forward and high as it is I'd bet spotlight, I don't think you could see anything in a mirror in that location. I have a 3/4" hole in my '62 door for a remote mirror a bit lower due to the GT trim .

Name:	IMG_0453 - 54.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1877259

Last edited by bensherb; 01-27-2021, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post

I'll have to take a better picture of it tomorrow. The hole is on the top front of the drivers door. Just ahead of the mirror mounting holes. It's about 1"-1 1/4" estimated diameter. I know it does look huge in the photo. The paint is also on the edge and the hole is smooth. Maybe who ever drilled the hole filed it smooth? The paint looks original as it color is consistent with the inside of the door as well.

Name:	P1220862.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1876452
                  I don't know Topper. I think that you are dealing with a repaint on the door. The red paint is too heavy on the inner door, and no granny overspray, which is generally apparent on factory paint. Also the area under the hing pad area would not show the uniformity that is apparent on your door.

Comment

Bill, they did a pretty good job on it as even the inside of the door was painted the same color.

Name:	P1220871.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1877389

Rusty parts under the undercoating, inside the door panel. I still need to use a heat gun to remove the rest of the undercoating so I can treat the rust.
                    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Working...
                    X