Rear brake line replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks WCP

I'd completely forgot to mention the reaming and beveling. They may be the most important variables.

Bob

Comment

Tom, that's not good. My tool actually pinches the line somewhat and leaves marks on the tubing. Going from memory, the set was made by New Britain or something like that. If you're interested I can dig it out tomorrow and post the info.

Comment

Bob, another important thing we forgot to mention, is to remember to put the flare nut on the line before flaring. Made that mistake on occasion!

Comment

I want to thank all members for your input and help. The job
          is finished. I ended up using three pieces and two unions to get the line from the master cylinder to the rear. Also added a new rubber line and two new hard lines from the junction on the rear diff to both rear wheels. Of the five (hard-line) pieces, I had to cut two for a better fit. A mechanic did new flares on both for $10. I used a Eastwood bender that I have had for awhile to form the bends. Not counting the new rubber line, I have right around $50 in the project.
          Thanks,
          Joe D.

Comment

Just as a reminder to everyone those who flare their own lines or buy premade sections always check for leaks before road testing. I put brake lines on my dad's chebbie truck a few years ago and made a short line to get over the frame rail and then proceeded to bleed the brakes. The next morning upon pulling out of the garage I had the brakes fail. Apparently when I flared the one end there was a defect in the tubing which caused the tube to fracture right where the bell meets the tube. My father had a similar incident with a customers car with a premade section. Luckily both times us and the vehicles were unharmed.

Jon Krimm
            1962 Lark Sedan
            1961 Champ

Comment

I've been doing my own flares but the quality of the tool makes all the difference but if you are unsure I would recommend at least trying and make sure you upgrade to a dual master cyl. that way should there be a problem you still have stopping power!! A good flare tool also makes quality fuel lines avoiding the problems from running hose all along the route.

Wow, someone in this town has something other than a Chevy!!

Comment

I have so far been able to do my brake line projects using premade sections of line and unions where needed. And yes, always test your work after completion by pumping the brakes up firm several times,inspect, and reinspect again after 24 hours or so.

Dean

CLEM DESEE MISTY
                Dean

CLEM

Comment

Working...
                X