61 hawk with T10 4 speed speedometer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 61 hawk with T10 4 speed speedometer problem

Have 61 Hawk with i believe a 3.07 rear end and a Borg Warner T10 4 speed, has a nylon 19 point driven gear on the end of the speedometer cable, the speedometer works when i turn the gear but when i insert it in the trany it does not seem to catch on the drive gear like it would be too short, i have seen some have a 16 tooth driven gear, how can i tell if it meshes correctly, the previous owner may have changed some things and he has since passed away. any ideas, should i try find a 16 tooth gear, thanks Randy

Take a look in where the cable/driven gear goes in the trans and make sure there's a drive gear in there. Then make sure your driven gear is completely seated all the way in. Before attaching the cable use a small screw driver in the end of the gear to carefully make sure it is meshed with the trans drive gear. The gears should loook like these: The diferent colors indicate different tooth counts, take note of the color of your gears so you can determine which ones you need once you get it working.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm-350-7-8-9-10-17.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1875983

Comment

thanks for the response, I can barely see with a mirror and flashlight and the drive gear is in, I did use a screwdriver and to get the driven gear to mesh with the drive gear but it goes in so far it is almost falling out of the bullet that holds it in place, my gear is the white one and it looks good with 19 teeth, maybe i will have to buy a gps speedometer

Comment

Originally posted by jax View Post
        thanks for the response, I can barely see with a mirror and flashlight and the drive gear is in, I did use a screwdriver and to get the driven gear to mesh with the drive gear but it goes in so far it is almost falling out of the bullet that holds it in place, my gear is the white one and it looks good with 19 teeth, maybe i will have to buy a gps speedometer
        Not sure what's going on there, maybe you have the wrong type driven gear or bullet? Perhaps for a different trans?

GPS speedo. That's what I did, I added a GPS speedo, it works great. It will sometimes loose signal but it's rare. Mine has an analog display but I also have a cable driven digital speedo to, they agree with one another perfectly. (I had an extra hole in the panel)

Comment

The Studebaker Pinion Gears (Driven) are Stewart Warner and have the SW Part Number and the Studebaker Part Number, so you can match it to the correct Drive Gear, the Tooth Angles HAVE to match.

The Chassis Parts Catalog Speedometer Chart will tell you how many teeth you need on the Pinion Gear to match what is in the Trans. as well as the Tire Size and Rear Axle Ratio they go to.

None of the Pictured Parts are Studebaker, some might actually Fit, until matching them to the Chart you will not know.

https://studebakervendors.com For Catalogs and Parts.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you both, I took a 4" piece of 5/8" wood dowel, chewed 3 pieces of gum and wrapped it around the dowel with the gum being thicker on the top rounded edge slid it in tranny hole and tilted it where i thought the drive gear would be pulled it out gently and compared the impression to my 19 tooth driven gear and it matched, but for some reason when i put everything back together it wont engage like its too short, anyway i will save my old speedometer and get a gps one, also my 61 hawk has a Chevy engine so my tach wont work so i will get a new tach also, anybody have a suggestion on ones they like that fit in 3 3/8"hole

Comment

Working...
            X