Lower Control Arm Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Lower Control Arm Bushings

I have changed many control arm bushings over the years on a lot of different brands. I always removed the control arm and pressed the old out and new in using an arbor press. Over the weekend I decided to change the four lower control arm bushings on my Lark, while still on the vehicle. Using a very large C-clamp to hold a rough center, I was able to walk the originals out with an air chisel and modified ball joint fork (milled to fit the OD of the bushing). I pressed the new ones in with a threaded rod in the cross shaft, a large round cone from my U-joint kit to fit the bushing, a heavy flat washer and a bearing to lessen the friction. I was amazed how well it worked and I saved a ton of aggravation. Just wanted to pass this on, as it is well worth giving it a try.

Congrats on finding a simpler way to do this.

I am not quite picturing the process, but am wondering how you set the preload tension on the bushings. The shop manual says to use a spreader on the A-arms.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Yes, the spreader keeps the distance the same on the control arms. I just made sure the inner steel sleeve bottomed out on the shoulder of the cross shaft and the gap on the OD to control arm was the same. The tension is set when the car is on the wheels. Only then can the cross shaft bolts be torqued. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Good Job!!! to bad the upper outer bushings cant be done this easily. Yep, Nice Job! Luck Doofus

Comment

I did the uppers two years ago and it was a time consuming job. I had to make aluminum "press sleeves" to press the new bushings in.

Comment

pictures always help less figuring

Comment

Working...
            X