V8 259 3EK309 stamp meaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: V8 259 3EK309 stamp meaning

Hey guys I have a 259 v8, cast number is 1554641. I can't find any info on the stamp 3EK309. Can someone point me in the right direction?

"3E" means a standard-duty 259 installed in a truck, "K" means October, "3" means 1963, and "09" is the 9th day. So, the engine is a standard-duty 259 assembled on Oct. 9, 1963 and installed in a truck.

SDC has a nice V8 engine identification table on its website. See: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

--Dwight

Comment

Thank you! I've been looking through that table but that specific code isn’t in that table

Comment

Look all the way down at the bottom of the engine number table.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Replacementdisplacement View Post
          Hey guys I have a 259 v8, cast number is 1554641. I can't find any info on the stamp 3EK309. Can someone point me in the right direction?
          Go to the 1964 V8 numbering (Red title) just below the Studebaker Engine Identification Table (Blue title). Look at the very last line about 3,5,6 and 7E truck engines and the follow on paragraph. This explains how to interpret your engines serial number.

Ooops! Should have read further. As Skip pointed out in his post.

Bo
          Bo

Comment

Studebaker's 1964-model-year engine numbers are unique, and not used in any other year. They are usually fairly easy to spot with that letter ("K", October) approximately in the middle. That month code could also be the second digit from the left, as in VK309 ('64 259) PK309 ('64 289), RK309 ('64 Avanti R1), etc. Of course that letter could be J, L, etc. (for different months). So, the 1964 engine serial number system isn't a serial number at all, because there is no "serial" part of it. Several engines with the same engine number could have been (and were) assembled on the same day. It isn't a VIN either because the VIN standard was only introduced later. So, I guess we will just continue calling it a serial number. After all, Americans are rather vague with the English language; We have Indians, 2-cycle engines, buffalo, etc., (none of which is strictly correct) and we all agree to recognize those words.
            --Dwight

Comment

Here is the part at the very bottom of the Chart that you missed:

"3E, 5E, 6E, or 7E followed by a letter and 3 numbers = truck engine with displacement as shown above

The date of manufacture was indicated by the final four characters; a letter representing month, a single digit for the year (3=1963, 4=1964), and two digits for the day. The month is represented by a letter as follows: A=Jan, B=Feb, C=Mar, D=Apr, E=May, F=Jun, G=Jul, H=Aug, J=Sep, K=Oct, M=Nov, N=Dec. Additional digits preceding the date code indicate an export engine."
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ref; post #6

And we call cow..... beef. (?) And if we have a fight we call it a.......beef! Our mangallanguage is the best!! The poor Brits must want to strangle us / US.

Sherm / Green Bay / 63R1089

Comment

Working...
                X