Clear All

• vmania
    replied
    Will do, Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by vmania View Post
    I’ve got an older Carter fuel pump with the filter in the bottom of the pump in a glass bowl. It’s a rebuilt from Dave Thiebault but still leaks oil? I sent it back and he checked everything and said it’s fine but still leaks oil.... any suggestions?... Thx
    57 GH 289
    You need to find out Exactly WHERE the Oil comes from.
    Sometimes a Timing Cover Seal Leak can mimic a Fuel Pump Leak due to Fan Air Flow, and if it is not there, where on the Fuel Pump is it?

Leave a comment:

• vmania
    replied
    I’ve got an older Carter fuel pump with the filter in the bottom of the pump in a glass bowl. It’s a rebuilt from Dave Thiebault but still leaks oil? I sent it back and he checked everything and said it’s fine but still leaks oil.... any suggestions?... Thx
    57 GH 289

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Any Fuel pump with the Laminated Steel Plates Type of Actuator Lever is NOT a Real Carter, just an Airtex in disguise.
    Maybe SOLD as a Carter, but not made by Carter before the Federal Mogul buyout.

Leave a comment:

• riffraff54
    replied
    Yes it apparently can.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    Can the arms be switched?

Leave a comment:

• riffraff54
    replied
    I pulled mine off this weekend to rebuild with a kit from SI but quickly determined they sent the wrong kit. I didn't realize until I had it off and broke down that it's a Carter M2211 pump and it has Made in Canada stamped on it. Is that an OEM Carter or an Airtex? It does have the wallowing actuator lever pin issue so that's probably why it's leaking oil. I need the correct rebuild kit if anyone can point me to one. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• unclemiltie
    replied
    You have a great Studebaker parts vendor in NZ. George Paniflow. Nice and helpful guy

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Do you have the engine s/n? Or a build sheet?
    IIRC, '61 Hawks had 289's except for export versions.
    I could be wrong, too.
    Fuel pumps would be the same.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by 61 stude hawk View Post
    Can anybody tell me the correct Carter fuel pump for a 259 V8 1961 Hawk with a 4 barrel Carter carb. I got a Carter 2211 from summit but the arm doesn't contact with the cam. It is the same length as the old one but the tip is lower down.
    Dene, I sent you a new PM message.

Leave a comment:

• Turtle
    replied
    I am looking for the correct fuel pump for my 1952 Commander V8. It currently has a AC casting but not sure of casting number. Any help would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
    /Cut/ If you go to electric use a pump for an 84 Accord. They are $30-$70 at RockAuto. Stay away from vane type pumps. If they lose prime they won't work. Sometimes spending a few extra $ is wise.
    Jeffry, would you call the Acura Electric Pump a Diaphragm Type Pump or what?

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    Went thru several of these junk fuel pumps before I gave up and went to electric on Ceci's 61. Jon Myers told me that the angle of the arm is wrong and there is just not enough pumping going on. Had better luck with the one I got from him , but it still quit after a year. Best thing is rebuild or have original Carter rebuilt. If you go to electric use a pump for an 84 Accord. They are $30-$70 at RockAuto. Stay away from vane type pumps. If they lose prime they won't work. Sometimes spending a few extra $ is wise.

Leave a comment:

• 61 stude hawk
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210110_084305.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1874082 New pump on the left
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bud
    replied
    The pumps leak oil because the seal on the diaphragm shaft is leaking. Oil collects in the cavity where the pump arm connects to the diaphragm shaft. If the shaft seal on the shaft does not fit properly or is defective, oil will eventually pool on top of the diaphragm and every time the pump arm is actuated, the diaphragm moves upward and pushes oil out of the breather hole in the top section of the pump. I rebuilt the pump on my Avanti a few years ago and after a few months, it started leaking oil due to the shaft seal failing. There is now a rebuilt original Carter pump that was a spare for my 62 Hawk on the engine. I know that a stock smaller Carter pump isn't correct for the engine, but it hasn't given me any trouble and I'm not removing it until it does. Maybe then, I'll rebuild the correct pump again and it will go back on the engine. Bud

Leave a comment:

Working...
X