No announcement yet.

Thread pitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Thread pitch?

1952 Studebaker Borg-Warner automatic attached to a
    1964 Daytona 289

So after wrestling the chaos that is the holidays and with all that's happening in the world right now i finally got a chance to get under the car. I was gifted an automatic drive shop manual for Christmas, and was on the starting line to try and remove the transmission because i was hearing a horrible banging noise coming from underneath the car. As I was draining the fluid and removing the torque converter cover I noticed a really funny thing. There were no nuts on the torque converter.... it's pretty bad considering i paid a hot rod guy a lot of money to do an engine and trans mate and install.... but that's neither here nor there... nothing i can do about it now...
    But my question is would anyone know the size and thread pitch of the nuts that go on these studs? Are there lock washers as well?
    Thank you in advance..

They ARE 3/8" X 24 (Fine) Castellated locking type Nuts.

The 1951 to 1954 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog Sez, : they are "(6) of 264-06 Nuts and (6) Plain 3/8" Flat Washers."

Check all 12 Nuts, 6 on Crank, and 6 on Converter for 35 Ft. Lbs. ONE stupid mistake could mean MORE!

The Flight-O-Matic Borg Warner's I have worked on all had Screws into the Converter, not Studs with Nuts, so I am surprised the Detroit Gear Trans. would not be the same, they both fasten to the same Size/Type of Flex Plate that is also Nutted to the Crankshaft Bolts.

That expensive, half-assed Job needs a partial Refund.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-03-2021, 04:11 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Everything Rich says, here is a spare torque converter I have, the bolts screw into the converter.

Comment

I am a bit bewildered with your photo, on the torque converter I have, the ring gear is attached to the converter, I don't see any of that in the picture, only the ring gear? There shouldn't be any nuts, the flex plate bolts to the crankshaft and the torque converter is bolted to the flex plate.

Comment

The Converter is that Silver thing on the Right of the Ring Gear Teeth which are attached.
          Post #3 is a Flight-O-Matic, according to the Book the DG Series do have Studs, that is why I was able to find Nuts for it and no Screws like a '56 to '64.

What might be a problem though, is that in the Pic it appears nothing is squared to each other, like the Flex Plate is Bent probably due to the Engine turning with No Nuts.
          Who knows what damage these fools have caused to the Trans. input Shaft, Front Pump Shaft and Torque Converter.

It is possible the the stiffener Ring may be on the Engine side of the Flex Plate, instead of the Converter side where it belongs.

Do you know a good Lawyer?
          Last edited by StudeRich; 01-04-2021, 11:20 PM.
          StudeRich

Comment

I think i can see the reinforcement plate edge but i cant see any nuts holding flex plate to crank. maybe just an optical contusion du to low coffee! can some one get a better angle on those fasteners? depending on how long it's run i would chance bolting it up properly and trying it, the snout on the converter helps center things and maybe you just have some dinked up studs. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
              I think i can see the reinforcement plate edge but i cant see any nuts holding flex plate to crank. maybe just an optical contusion du to low coffee! can some one get a better angle on those fasteners? depending on how long it's run i would chance bolting it up properly and trying it, the snout on the converter helps center things and maybe you just have some dinked up studs. Luck Doofus
              I am on the hunt for fasteners as this is being typed. My first instinct is to do exactly as you say and find the nuts and washers and bolt it up and see how it goes. I am going to get down there and spin the converter and see if there is any damage to the studs. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The Converter is that Silver thing on the Right of the Ring Gear Teeth which are attached.
                Post #3 is a Flight-O-Matic, according to the Book the DG Series do have Studs, that is why I was able to find Nuts for it and no Screws like a '56 to '64.

What might be a problem though, is that in the Pic it appears nothing is squared to each other, like the Flex Plate is Bent probably due to the Engine turning with No Nuts.
                Who knows what damage these fools have caused to the Trans. input Shaft, Front Pump Shaft and Torque Converter.

It is possible the the stiffener Ring may be on the Engine side of the Flex Plate, instead of the Converter side where it belongs.

Do you know a good Lawyer?
                It looks straighter in person. The camera on my phone, the angle of the picture and the avoidance of the puddle of trans fluid that slopped out of my pan made it a little difficult to get a better picture!
                We will see what damage was actually caused and how everything looks, feels and sounds when I get some nuts on there. I will be heading to the local parts store for my fluids next paycheck.
                And I wish I knew a good lawyer. The body work that was asked to be done was great, but the mechanical work was sub-par. Not impressed.

Comment

You should probably check the transmission/crankshaft runout. The bell housing should have been dial indicated (is that a verb?) so the transmission center matches the crankshaft center.

If this hot rod guy is not familiar with Studebakers, it's likely that he missed that - among other things.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

hello all , i have looked at the set up in the first photo several times trying to work out how the converter is sitting up against the reinforcement plate and it does not make sense, it looks to me and i have done several of these that you have the bolts there but the heads have been cut off for some reason, if you look close you can see thread on those studs? . maybe your mechanic did not know or care how to fit the set up and just installed the bolts into the converter and then cut the heads off, anyway i could be wrong but that is what it looks like to me , cheers
                    R.A.Jennings

Comment

I am like you and maybe others, who know what this SHOULD look like, just thinking SOMETHING other/in addition to, the missing Torque Converter Nuts is going on here! . .

Body Work and Mechanical work should Very rarely, ever be done in the same place, by the same people or by the same Company!
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-10-2021, 01:26 PM.
                      StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                      X