No announcement yet.

57 Clipper frame gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 57 Clipper frame gauge?

I previously posted this thread about adding a clutch pedal to my 53.
    https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....o-53-commander

As noted, I am planning to use the clipper frame. I have good drawings of the two frames, and don't believe I will have any issues making one out of the two. During the discussion I was questioned about the Clipper frame being 12 gauge instead of the 14 gauge on my 53 Commander.

I believe the Commander frame is in good usable condition. I see no valid reason to use the Clipper frame if it is NOT any thicker. I will just add some reinforcements, and swap the bigger brakes and sway bars over to the Commander frame.

Can someone confirm one way or the other.

I realize I can take a micrometer to each one (12 gauge would be 7/64 and 14 gauge would be 5/64). I just had my right shoulder joint replaced, and am not keen on rolling around the floor measuring right now.

Does anyone know for certain?

I checked the '56 to '57 Shop Manual and the 1958 Suppliment for you.
    It seems all Shop Manuals show all the various Model Frame Dimensions, but only the '59-'64 Manuals also show the Frame thicknesses in the Frame Section.

So I guess we are back to someone measuring one, sorry.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks Rich.

I will measure these two when I get a chance and post my findings.

Comment

Lynn; I just went out and measured my parts car frame. It is 0.120" so that is 11 ga. Does your frame measure the same? I'd bet the 53 C-K frame is lighter but I no longer have one to measure. Jeff (My Clipper in the garage measures 0.140 but has POR-15 on it)

Comment

I found a Standard bare Steel Gauge to Inch Chart that shows the common Heaviest Studebaker Frame, as on 1962 and Later:
          11 Gauge thickness, at: 0.1196

13 Ga. = 0.0897

14 Ga. = 0.0747 (as on 6 Cyl. 2 Door Sedans only.)
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
          X