mechanical senders for gauges 289 full flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: mechanical senders for gauges 289 full flow

i read on a search the temp sender is behind the drivers head, is this a universal sender and can offer temp readings vs moving the needle over some lines on a stock gauge?

and does the oil sender have a pressure threshold that closes contacts triggering the idiot light to come on? where is this located and what sizes are these fittings? 1/4 npt?

thank you

The Rear INBOARD of the Right Cyl. Head has a 1/8" Pipe hole where the Pressure Switch that grounds the Oil Pressure Light is located.

The Temp. Sender at the very Rear of the Left Head electrically causes the needle on the Gauge to move just as changing the Ohm's resistance on the Fuel Gauge does. It does have to have the correct Stude. (SW) Ohm rating.
    YES, your Two Stock Gauges are fully Electric. (Yes, all Stude. Gauges are Top Quality Stewart Warner.)

What else beyond that, the PO did I have No idea.
    The Amp. Light is likely non-Opp with the maybe One Wire Alt. conversion, it can be fixed but not everyone knows how.

Only Cars with Oil Pressure Gauges and Ammeters, NOT Idiot Lights are Mechanical, such as: 1963 to 1966 Larks and Lark Types, Avantis, all Hawks and some "C" Cab Trucks.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-26-2020, 04:58 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

thank you Rich,

i saw the oil pressure switch, but it's an idiot low pressure indicator, but easy to get to,

the amp light works, 3 wire alternator as per Po, but i have not confirmed this, i have seen it flicker, could leave it if going to volt meter,

did stude use plastic to run mechanical lines to the oil pressure guage? or copper tubing, you figure after all these years, if she blows, it;s a artery bleeding

i had a tough time seeing but felt the water temp switch, cramped spot next to the firewall, who has done this?

Comment

Studebaker used a copper capillary tube for their mechanical oil pressure gauges. At the engine end, this coupled onto a short hose made of fabric-reinforced rubber that was screwed into a suitable location on the block.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

how many suitable locations, are you aware of?

Comment

Wherever you find those small 1/8" Pipe Plugs, like both ends of the Heads, the Hole you found at the rear of the Right Head has a mate at the Front of the Left Head since they are all the same Heads. That is where the Partial Flow Oil Filter would have been connected on a Pre-Late '62 V8.

Usually when someone wants an additional Oil Gauge, it is easily connected Via a "T" along with the Low Oil Pressure Sender Switch.

We have talked here about how an Aftermarket real Degree'd Temp. Gauge -Sender can be installed in the Left "Arm" of the Later Model Water Manifolds that have the "Boss" for a Alternate Heater Hose Connection for A/C Cars by drilling and tapping it.
            The one that WAS on your Engine Originally and is not now.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 12-26-2020, 08:08 PM.
            StudeRich

Comment

i checked i do have a port plugged with a 1/2 inch npt? will any sensors interfere with water flow and blow a head gasket?Click image for larger version  Name:	20201211_112829.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.5 KB ID:	1872190

Comment

That Port in the Right Arm of the Water Manifold is used for the Heater Hose Fitting for the Hose to the Input of the Climatizer Temp. Control Valve. I thought you had a Heater?
                Or, is your Heater Coolant coming from an Aftermarket Fitting for A/C at the rear of the Right Head where the Block-off Plate normally is?

If you want to use that Hole for an auxiliary Temp. Gauge Sender location you will just need a 1/2" to 3/8" Pipe Bushing (Adapter). That will help keep it out of the Main Flow a little.
                Someone here has already done that on the Left Side as I recommended to you, and I never heard of a Problem, a Canadian I think.
                StudeRich

Comment

i think it's coming from the rear, i read on some paper work it had AC at one time,it was deleted properly

Comment

There are water block off plates at the rear of both heads. Either or both can be used for heater hoses, temp senders, etc. The bosses in the water manifold can be used for either as well, and the undrilled boss in the left side of earlier manifolds can be carefully drilled and tapped if needed.
                    I currently have an electric fan switch mounted in the water manifold, but have also had a gauge sensor in it in the past.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0885a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	1872636
                    When I got the car the heater hose was welded into the block off plate on the rear of the right head. I made a new aluminum block off plate, and moved the heater hose to the right side of the water manifold.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3548.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.5 KB ID:	1872637
                    I could not get the original sender out of the plate, plus, the stock plate was rusted and would not seal well any longer. So, I made a new block off plate for the rear of the left head too, and threaded it 1/8"npt for the gauge sender I'd be using.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0995 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.8 KB ID:	1872638
                    For the oil gauge when the stock copper plated STEEL line broke for the second time and the flex hose began leaking I replaced it all with an electric gauge and mounted the sender in the right head where the flex hose had been attached.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3549.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	1872639

And, I added a small mechanical oil pressure gauge to the front port in the left head.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3551.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.4 KB ID:	1872640
                    The stock Stude electric senders should work for any Stewart Warner gauge assuming they are for the same voltage. Any of the water ports can be used for any purpose, they're 3/8"npt. Also any of the oil ports, which are 1/8"npt can be used for any needed purpose. There are more ports than these shown here but they are not as easily accessed.

Comment

thank you for this, your work looks amazing!

Comment

Working...
                      X