Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 289 free flow temperature sending unit

Hello,
    I have a 1963 289, I'm just wiring up all the gauges etc., the engine has been re-conditioned & I've just realised I didn't put the temp sender unit
    in before I dropped the engine in, It has a bung in each head, there isn't a great deal of room between the head & the fire wall at the rear, & the sending unit is quite long,
    It won't fit there now that the engine is in place, & the bung at the front has the water pump in front, looks like I will have to get a shorter sender, but question is, is there another
    place for the sender?

regards, Cus Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0521.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1871536
    sigpic

Is that the temperature sending unit, or the oil pressure idiot light sending unit?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

My 62 sender looks a bit different than that. For some reason, yours looks like an oil light sender.

https://www.ebay.com/i/392412137433?...RoC-_8QAvD_BwE

Comment

Roy, beat me to it.

Comment

Thanks,

That explains that,
          I'll track down the proper sender,
          I think it's still going to be a bugger to get in.

regards, Cus
          sigpic

Comment

There should be a small plate with 2 bolts on the back of each head. One will have the hole drilled and tapped for the temp sender. You may have to remove the plate, install the sender, and then put the plate back on. Temp sender usually on the passenger side head.

Comment

I think mine is on the driver's side head.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                I think mine is on the driver's side head.
                So is mine.

Comment

Thanks, also, does anyone recognise this model gauge, before I have to remove it Click image for larger version

Name:	126756CB-6779-4043-BC04-797D8DC4F817.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	1871577
                  sigpic

Comment

If that’s in a GT Hawk, which it looks like a ‘64 judging by the black dash panel, all the gauges I see look wrong.
                    But, being yours is in Australia it’s possible it’s correct

Comment

Sorry, but THAT is a '56 to '61 Hawk Water Temp. Gauge.

Since they all use the same 12V Sending Unit, they will all work the same, but do have a different LOOK.
                      These have a different face and a Stainless Steel (Silver) Bezel and GT Hawks are different with THREE small marks between each large Mark and a Flat Black Bezel.

It appears to be installed in a '64 Dash and may have some Black paint on the Bezel.

Is this a "Johnny Cash" Studebaker? A '63 with a '64 dash, with '61 Gauges!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Prod. Order 63V31103e.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.2 KB ID:	1871598
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-22-2020, 11:08 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yep, I’ve put a 64 dash-in , I have 2 sets of gauges, ended up finding the sender , all works now, thanks for the help. I have a 61 dash, but prefer the 64, both are Rhd
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X