Source for new ring gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Source for new ring gear

I was searching the internet for flywheel/clutch parts, and came across this site. https://fortwayneclutch.com/product/...-sku-frg162_m/ Most sites show the ring gear as no longer available, so decided to share this if anybody else is looking. Maybe if they get a few sold, they will continue to produce them. I also found a site that produces a flywheel for 53-55 V8. Wilcap Company Flywheels I emailed about them, and he replied that he had the drawing for the flywheel, but had no source for the ring gear. I will need to do some homework in the parts books to see what fits.
    Last edited by tsenecal; 12-21-2020, 03:54 PM.

Do you have a Studebaker part number for this gear or an application?

Comment

I was able to get mine from Studebaker West. Make sure you count the teeth.

Comment

Did a little research. The truck parts book shows a different ring gear for the autolite starter (525271) and the delco starter (1539747). The car parts book shows the same ring gear for Y1, 59S thru 64S and 59V and 64V, (1539745). The ring gear I found is 162 teeth, but says to contact them for application. Will do that tomorrow. My parts books don't show a tooth count on the description.

Comment

The ring gears are different tooth counts between 6 volt and 12 volt cars that is the difference. Also the starter drives have different counts between them depending on 6 or 12 volt . I believe 6 is 9 tooth, and 12 volts are 11 teeth, and are NOT interchangeable. You WILL chew up starter drives if you try to run a 12 volt starter on a 6 volt flywheel ring gear. The last 6 volt cars were 55. 56 and on are 12 volt.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

In some instances, the ring gear can be flipped over and use the other side. The one on my M16 had a lead-in cut on each tooth. I flipped the gear and cut the lead-in on the other side. Quite a bit of work but, it starts fine. Neal

Comment

I was looking at a standard and an automatic (torque converter) ring gears and they are the same diameters and the same number of teeth both have 162 teeth. The starters for these ring gears will vary in length as the torque converter is closer to the engine than the standard hence the different lengths of bolts. The snouts on the starter will be different however the number of teeth in the starter drives is the same, they both have 9 teeth. 6 volt starter drives also have 9 teeth however the diameters are different, the 6 volt starter drives are 1 1/8" and the 12 volt starter drives are 1".
              I do not have a 6 volt ring gear to measure but I assume it will be 1/8" smaller than the 12 volt because the starter drive is 1/8" larger than the 12 volt. I had mixed and matched starter parts snout and drive gear to convert a 6 volt starter to operate as a 12 volt unit. I have a '63 259 operating on 6 volts with a 6 volt starter and a 12 volt starter drive. I don't think the number of teeth is the issue for the ring gear or the starter drive when applying 12 volts, the length of the snout is more important. The difference is minimal between auto and standard, the teeth are the same 9 for the drive and 162 for the ring gear however the length of the snout is different. It would be possible to install the incorrect starter and destroy the ring gear or starter drive because of the minimal difference. The starter I am using is a complete bastard but to look at it you can't tell, it is a 6 volt starter but it will fit in to any 12 system. The number of teeth in the ring gears and starter drives is only part of the equation the diameter of the starter drives and length of starter snouts is equally important. The photos are a standard and automatic both with 162 teeth.

Comment

If you just stick with the Studebaker Vendors you will get the RIGHT Parts without them or you having to Guess.

The reason you find '59-'64S-Y1 Models Ring Gear the same as V8 is, those are Taxis, Police and H.D. Sedans, they have many H.D. Parts which are V8 and Truck Parts on 6's.

https://studebakervendors.com
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The 6 volt starter shaft is bigger in diameter, so a 12 volt starter drive will not fit on it. Unless you turn down the shaft to accept the starter drive. I have done this on my 52 Commander, I have a 289 with a later automatic, but have left it as a 6 volt system. But, to just put one on, without modifying the shaft, will not work.

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                    The 6 volt starter shaft is bigger in diameter, so a 12 volt starter drive will not fit on it. Unless you turn down the shaft to accept the starter drive. I have done this on my 52 Commander, I have a 289 with a later automatic, but have left it as a 6 volt system. But, to just put one on, without modifying the shaft, will not work.

Jim
                    This is all true, I also had to turn my shaft to fit the 12 volt starter drive.

Comment

I believe that the inside diameter of the ring gear is different on the flywheel vs. torque converter ring gears

Comment

Torque Converter Ring Gears are wider as well from I.D. to O.D. it is 2 or 3 times as wide on the Automatics.

tsenecal; be Sure you tell Wilcap Engr. which you want, because a '51 to '54 Flywheel is for a 8 Inch Clutch and '55 is for a 10 Inch Clutch. They are NOT the same '53-'55!

The 1539745 12 Volt Ring Gear should be available at Studebaker Vendors for Standard Trans. V8's 1956 to 1964.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-31-2021, 06:04 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                        X