No announcement yet.

Too good to be true, Bendix 8" booster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Too good to be true, Bendix 8" booster.

So I was told that the Bendix booster that came on Avantis and all Studes with disc brakes were again being manufactured. Price seemed good at under $300.00 Then the other 'shoe' dropped................it is made in China:-(. For as long as I can if need be, I will pay whatever it takes to rebuild my original booster that came with the car when new. Any folks out there have 'experience' with the China example?

As far as the justification to newly manufacture this unit - it may be for the MoPar crowd. The MoPar and Studebaker units are almost the same, except the four mounting studs on the rear of the unit a slightly different pattern. The MoPar is just a little larger pattern but almost overlaps the Studebaker pattern. I once saw someone file the Studebaker bracket holes oval and then mount the MoPar booster using flat washers. Something I wouldn’t personally do. Power Brake Booster Supply is in Portland and I have had him rebuild Studebaker boosters for me for decades. He had a standing order with me to buy Studebaker double diaphragm cores. Not necessarily for Studebaker owners, but he had a high demand for MoPar boosters, and all the parts were the same save the rear shell. So, check the dimensions of the mounting stud pattern.

Comment

Love this guy!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-mzx7vsqTM

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
        As far as the justification to newly manufacture this unit - it may be for the MoPar crowd. The MoPar and Studebaker units are almost the same, except the four mounting studs on the rear of the unit a slightly different pattern. The MoPar is just a little larger pattern but almost overlaps the Studebaker pattern. I once saw someone file the Studebaker bracket holes oval and then mount the MoPar booster using flat washers. Something I wouldn’t personally do. Power Brake Booster Supply is in Portland and I have had him rebuild Studebaker boosters for me for decades. He had a standing order with me to buy Studebaker double diaphragm cores. Not necessarily for Studebaker owners, but he had a high demand for MoPar boosters, and all the parts were the same save the rear shell. So, check the dimensions of the mounting stud pattern.
        Thanks for the info.........many years ago I sent my Avanti booster (at least 25-30 yrs) down to Master Power Brake in Mooresville, NC.
        At the time they were making their own diaphragms (sp). The booster is still on the car doing yeoman service. They also powder coated the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
          Is this business also called "Booster Dewey" ?

Comment

New Chinesium is always second (or third) rate to a reman original. Anyone who has done this for a while is nodding in agreement.
            '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post

Is this business also called "Booster Dewey" ?
              Yes - However Dewey has retired but the business is now in the capable hands of “Booster Steve” who had worked there for many years.

The proper name of the business is “Power Brake Booster Exchange” - not “Supply” as I had previously written.
              Last edited by Studebakercenteroforegon; 12-20-2020, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X