Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S10 Chevy frame using a rebuilt 289 Studebaker motor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• royvaldez
    replied
    Went down below to see what I got as motor mounts for the S10 Frame project. I forgot that I am parting out a 1963 GT Hawk that has the flat shelf motor mount that I can use.

Leave a comment:

• royvaldez
    replied
    Ben, that looks great. Perhaps one of these days, we will meet. Roy

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    I'm about 80 miles south and haven't done this exact job but have done many similar. With stuff like this you usually need to make mounts yourself. The stock mounts on the Stude are biscuit type at the front of the engine with a rear/ mid mount on the bell housing. The front mount is easy all you need is a shelf on each frame rail for the biscuit to sit on, I like to use the '55-'57 Chevy bolt thru type for this, I actually replace the mounts in my Stude with them. The 700r4 trans does not have a full bellhousing and was never meant to carry the weight of the engine. GM engines that use that trans have side mounts so the trans doesn't carry the engine weight. Add the fact that the stude engine is 725lbs and I added rear mounts to the trans adapter plate when I swaped my Stude trans to a 4L60, also using '55-'57 Chevy biscuit mounts. The trans tail mount for most GM cars from the mid 60's thru the 80's works well and just needs a crosmember with a flat shelf for it to sit on.

I've used Datsun 620/720 pickup frames for many custom cars using Chevy big and small blocks and several Ford engines. They all have side mounts, but usually will use the most common engine mount for that engine and build frame brackets for them to bolt to.

This is the trans plate with rear engine mounts I made for my Stude. It just has "shelf" brackets that bolt to the frame, where the original crossmember and rear mount was removed, for the mount to sit on using urethane versions of the '55-'57 Chevy engine mounts. The front mount is similar with "shelf " brackets rivited to the front suspension crossmember.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180512_152035.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.1 KB ID:	1870846
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20180514_180840.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	1870847I
    I bolted the trans tail mount to the existing crossmember in the Stude but for your frame a square tube crossmember should work fine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180729_185903.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.8 KB ID:	1870848
    Last edited by bensherb; 12-18-2020, 08:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• S10 Chevy frame using a rebuilt 289 Studebaker motor.

I need information on installing a Studebaker 289 motor on to a s10 chevy frame. Looking to see what motor mounts to use???? Need How too? The 289 Studebaker is mated to a 700r4 chevy Automatic Transmission. Anyone close to Sacramento, CA that has done this.
Working...
X