No announcement yet.

Distributor Retarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only picture i have of the distributor. Can anyone tell if it's a Prestolite?
    Attached Files

Comment

Chrysler used a Prestolite dual point distributor on their high performance engines such as the 426 hemi and 440 engines. the top section of the distributor is the same as the Prestolite distributors used in Studebaker V8's, but the bottom section is completely different and not interchangeable with Studebaker distributors. Chrysler big block electronic ignition components will work in a Studebaker Prestolite distributor. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
        Chrysler used a Prestolite dual point distributor on their high performance engines such as the 426 hemi and 440 engines. the top section of the distributor is the same as the Prestolite distributors used in Studebaker V8's, but the bottom section is completely different and not interchangeable with Studebaker distributors. Chrysler big block electronic ignition components will work in a Studebaker Prestolite distributor. Bud
        Mystery solved, thank you!

Comment

Is the rotor Delco or Prestolite? Is the tag gone?

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
            True, but you must transfer the top shaft from the MOPAR to the Presto, including the reluctor (either rotor will work). Then, the reluctor must be properly phased with the rotor. So since Kato's distributor is a Mopar conversion, the original problem that presents as, "distributor retarding" may actually be in phasing, i.e. the reluctor slipping on the shaft, if not properly attached with a roll pin and/or set screw. If the reluctor slips, it also retards ignition.

I know these things because I have Prestolites with Mopar conversion in the two GTs with EFI. Long story short, I have been completely through both of them, and had to learn phasing backward and forward. Best way to confirm proper phasing is with the distributor removed from the car, and you'll need to sacrifice an old distributor cap by drilling a 1/2" hole in it midway between #1 and #8 terminals. The rest is simple, but lengthy to explain here.
            Last edited by JoeHall; 12-21-2020, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Years back I had a Studebaker Prestolite distributor with the Mopar electronic conversion sent to me for diagnoses and repair with the same complaint. The owner of the distributor had installed parts from a small block Chrysler distributor which rotates in the opposite direction from the big block Chrysler and V8 Studebaker distributors. The base timing would set correctly, but as the engine speed increased, the spark retarded instead of advancing causing the engine to run like a POS. Bud

Comment

Working...
              X