1961 lark engine problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1961 lark engine problem

Yesterday after installing all ignition parts I tried to crank my lark, the engine spun over a few times and then seemed to lock up, I tried it again and the same result , I put a pull handle on the crankshaft nut and it would turn easy, but felt as if rough or binding, the car had been sitting about 11 years before I put ignition parts in it , before doing so I removed the starter and could move the flywheel with a pry bar, I also put PB blaster in the spark plug holes and let it set a couple days , I reinstalled the starter and the engine spun smoothly without the spark plugs and also after the plugs were installed.
    Can’t believe it would all of a sudden have a major failure, any ideas

Well just to be sure I would pull the plugs out and spin it again; of course it should spin easily and after a few seconds your oil pressure light should even go out. If when you have reassembled and try to light it off it seems to "lock up", then I would say that your plug wires are out of order or the dizzy is way out of place and you are firing back against the starter. You can double check that quickly by just pulling the coil wire and seeing if the lock up has gone away.

Comment

Thank you Ross will give that a try tomorrow!

Comment

Guarantee the firing order is screwed up:-(

Comment

The spark could also be too far advanced. There is a back yard method to check, remove number 1 plug and rotate the engine by hand when number 1 is nearing TDC the timing marks should just start to appear. When the timing marks just start to appear insert a small stick in to the cylinder and very slowly rotate the engine watching the stick slowly move upward and at the same time look in the distributor and watch the points, when they just start to open STOP and see where the stick is relative to where the timing marks are. If the stick is still moving upward after the points open you are too advanced. There are many electronic meters to do the same job if you can read them. When I first set up my engine this is the method I use and it is fool proof. Also when I assemble I set the engine up in Number 1 firing position and don't move it.

Comment

I see you are relatively new to the forum and if also new to Studebakers, the most common mistake made when changing plug wires on a V8 is to install them as if the distributor turns clockwise. WRONG, it turns counter clockwise! Ask me how I know.
            Bob
            Bob
            Welland Ontario
            60 Lark Convertible
            64 Daytona
            sigpic
            "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Seems as though the old starter drive was hanging in the flywheel, removed the starter and the engine turns freely!

Comment

w
                Originally posted by pinehurstbob View Post
                I see you are relatively new to the forum and if also new to Studebakers, the most common mistake made when changing plug wires on a V8 is to install them as if the distributor turns clockwise. WRONG, it turns counter clockwise! Ask me how I know.
                Bob
                Bob we have all been there!

Comment

Originally posted by Herb View Post
                  Seems as though the old starter drive was hanging in the flywheel, removed the starter and the engine turns freely!
                  Are you using the correct starter bolts? They are shouldered for correct alignment.

Comment

Two studs already in place that the starter and nuts attach to, haven’t changed anything

Comment

So have you figured out if it is a Bad Bendix Drive or the Wrong Starter Extension Housing, as Standard and Automatic Trans. Cars are different as well as 6 Cyl. and V8.

The 2 Starter BOLTS can not be all thread or the wrong thread length, the Shoulder Bolts Center the Starter.

If you never Drove this Car in it's current condition, it COULD have never been correct.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

My starter guy is out of town until Jan. 1st , I removed the starter as it would not engage when power was applied, upon inspection the armature wouldn’t turn and one spring on a brush was broken from rust, the starter also contained some water in it, cleaned it up some and installed new spring, it seemed to work ok, reinstalled it ,it spun the engine fine but then started acting up , will have the starter rebuilt and then try again, will check the bolts , etc to make sure it’s correct

Comment

Sounds like you are on the right track. Rule out a bad starter before changing anything else.
                          Bob
                          Bob
                          Welland Ontario
                          60 Lark Convertible
                          64 Daytona
                          sigpic
                          "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Working...
                          X