No announcement yet.

Avanti Power Brake Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawklover, you probably have a Chrysler production booster on your Avanti. They look the same as the Studebaker unit but the included push rod is different in length. The Stude units will have an "S" stamped on the stem. The Chrysler units can be made to work, but can cause adjustment problems or contact with the apron.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
      Hawklover, you probably have a Chrysler production booster on your Avanti. They look the same as the Studebaker unit but the included push rod is different in length. The Stude units will have an "S" stamped on the stem. The Chrysler units can be made to work, but can cause adjustment problems or contact with the apron.
      Now that is very interesting! The car was purchased from the original owner back in Jan. of 1967..........and the booster was only removed one time by me over 15 years ago to send to Master-Power-Brakes in North Carolina for a re-build to this specific booster, at the time the owner (Carmen Anastasio) was making his own rubber diaphragms and he did fantastic work on the unit. He even gave me a tool that measures the correct booster stem length for the new master cyl..........I bet most folks do not even know that tool exists. I never had any issues with apron contact, and after using that tool I have no issues with dragging brakes or brakes that do not apply properly.
      Thank you for the heads up concern!

Comment

Could you post a photo of the tool?
        Thanks
        John

Comment

Here you go!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	booster guage.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1871529