Avanti Power Brake Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Avanti Power Brake Unit

In the process of replacing the rag joint on my ‘63 Avanti steering column, I had to move the power brake booster out of the way. This meant I had to disconnect the booster from the mounting bracket on the firewall. In the process of doing that the four spacers between the unit and the bracket dropped off of the four studs. When I recovered all four of the spacers (1112-2; part #1561759) from off the floor, I discovered that two of the spacers are 1/4 inch thick, and two of the spacers are 1/8 inch thick. I had not noticed that before removing the unit. There is nothing that I can find in either the Avanti workshop manual or the parts book that indicates which spacers go on which studs. My instincts tell me that the 1/4 inch spacers probably go on the top two studs and the 1/8 inch spacers probably go on the bottom two studs, but I am not sure I should trust my instincts. Does anyone out there know for certain which is supposed to go where? If not, it would be helpful to have a consensus from this group of how they are placed on your particular Avanti. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Stan Gundry
    www.AvantiPublishing.com

IIRC, I believe the spacers were originally the same size. When I installed a dual M/C, I had to adjust to clear the hood. I opine that the larger ones go on top to angle the M/C downward.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I should not have read this thread.......just checked my Avanti, NO spacers at all. Good grief now I have something else to ponder about the brake system........ Sherm / Green Bay / 63R1089

Comment

Since the Avanti Catalog (Picture # 1112-2) calls for Qty. (1) Bag of 4 Spacers and the Bag , NOT the Spacers is Qty. ONE of 1561759, I am not absolutely sure if there were 2 and 2, but the Factory very well COULD have used 2 Sizes.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have seen the two different sizes used before also. It is usually when someone converts to the dual circuit system. The master cylinders on those are longer, and more prone to hit the hood if the booster isn't tilted more.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

My 64 Avanti has four identical spacers, one on each stud, between the booster body and the mounting bracket. They measure at 1 cm (0.4 in). It looks like each spacer could be actually two identical-thickness spacers.

My car has been well maintained since new. (Of course, that doesn't absolutely prove anything.)
            --Dwight

Comment

Well I went out and checked my Avanti for 7/16" booster spacers, just in case the 'spacer fairy' paid me a night time visit. No luck, guess I am stuck with another to-do list adder. Upon closer inspection I did notice that the left rear side of the booster body IS touching the inner fender shield.....that shows the need for spacers in my case. So that would also lead to a brake pedal travel readjustment condition? I still have the factory fruit jar MC so no dual conversion yet. And yes the DMC conversion is scheduled so the spacer / pedal issues will be moot, I am just yard driving debugging other conditions. How do you guys have the time for multiple Studebaker's? I must be getting slower in retirement than I realize! Sherm / Green Bay / 63R1089 & toasted 63R1182

Comment

I checked my 64. The four spacers are identical. They do appear to be composed of two smaller ones. I used some washers on the top to angle the dual M/C to provide hood clearance.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

The original spacers are all the same thickness and have a groove around the mid-section. If properly set up, the longer MC of a dual conversion shouldn't interfere with the hood UNLESS you have an early hood with the lateral reinforcement as part of the hood. In that case, tip the MC down with the booster shims, or if you don't like the appearance, find a dual MC that doesn't interfere with that hood.

Comment

Ref; post #9

I won the lottery again ! My hood is an early model with the cross support. I just tumbled upon the linkage about the Avanti motto, Avanti means forward in Italian....however in my case it has a modifier........one step FORWARD and TWO steps backward!! Just kidding, no complaining,at least my summer of 2021 is all planned out. 63R1089 will be another full summer garage queen! Sherm / Green Bay / 63R1089

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded. My conclusion is that spacers installed at the factory come in different thicknesses and that sometimes 2 different thicknesses were used on the same car, probably the thinner on the bottom 2 studs and the thicker at the top 2. All to avoid the booster unit or the MC from contact with the hood.
                      Stan Gundry
                      www.AvantiPublishing.com

Comment

No. All Avanti cars from the factory had 4 equal thickness spacers on the booster mount. Factory cars were not supplied with the dual chamber master cylinders of more recent conversions that may require spacer adjustment.
                        There is only one part number call-out in both early and late part manuals as further evidence.

Comment

Interesting..............five years ago I installed a dual master cylinder on my Avanti, still has all the original booster spacers, and I never had to do any adjustment(tilt) to the booster, the master was purchased from Jon Myer with a hole drilled in front for the stop light switch.

Comment

Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
                            I should not have read this thread.......just checked my Avanti, NO spacers at all. Good grief now I have something else to ponder about the brake system........ Sherm / Green Bay / 63R1089
                            LOL been there felt that!

Comment

I'm sure the booster has never been off my car. It has the thin metal boot retainer plate next to the booster, then (4) 1/4" thick spacer washers, then (4) 3/32" thick washers that are just slightly larger O.D. than the 1/4" washers. It's possible these washers are made in one piece with a slight step in the O.D. I'd have to take the booster off to know for sure.
                              The package of four is part #1561759. The earlier parts book shows them sold individually as part #1557905.
                              AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Working...
                              X