No announcement yet.

Anyone know the wiring change to make park lamps come on with headlight? 64 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Anyone know the wiring change to make park lamps come on with headlight? 64 GT

Years ago I found a way to wire my park lights to come on with the headlights in the headlight position. And, I could still have park lights only in the park position. Of course, taillights on in both. That was on a 54 Commander. I am trying to achieve the same thing on my 64 Hawk. But 30 years later, my brain is a little fuzzier! For the life of me, I cannot figure out the trick. Anyone with a diagram to share would be appreciated.

Don't have a 64 Hawk, but the light switch should have contacts marked T, H, I for tail, head, and instrument. Often there is more than one post marked I. Anything plugged onto the I post will come on when the switch is in either the first or second click.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Easy. For your 1964 negative ground system, use a 1N5402 diode with the anode connected to the low beam headlights and the cathode connected to both parking lights. If you desire the parking lights on with both low and high beams, connect another diode with anode connected to the high beam headlights and the cathode connected to both parking lights. The 1N5402 is rated at 3 amps and 200 volts and are available on eBay for next to nothing. Cathode is the band end of the diode.

Comment

Could I achieve the same result by just putting the diode between the headlight and parklight terminals on the switch?

Comment

If you plug the Parking Lights into the extra Instrument Lights and or Tail Lights terminal on the Hd. Lt. Switch you will get what you want quite simply, BUT you lose the Parking Lights only function, so THAT is where the "One way" Diode device could go between THOSE wires.

While you are "playing" you could also wire your Top of Fender Marker lights to come on with Turn and alternately Flash with or also on with Parking Lights!
          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-14-2020, 03:32 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The "parking lights only" function also runs the tail lights, too, IIRC.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

On my '62 GT, I evidently have the park lamp wire on the same terminal as the instrument panel lamps. They come on in both the park position and headlamp position of the switch. I also made lamp assemblies for my fender markers (in '62 they weren't lit) and wired them into the park lamp wiring, so they also come on in both positions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160503_221108.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1870347

Comment

Working...
              X