Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best 6V Battery Maintainer for 1951 Stude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Best 6V Battery Maintainer for 1951 Stude?

Anyone have a good recommendation for the best battery maintainer for the winter months, for a 6V positive ground 1951 Studebaker?

This one looks promising -- a Schumacher that can do either 6V or 12V:

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Or this one, which fits "under the hood" and automatically detects 6V or 12V:

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC...7959515&sr=8-3

Your opinions and experience are welcome!

Make sure you monitor the battery. I had one of those battery tenders cook my battery into a potato chip over the course of the winter. So don't just hook it up and forget it.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

You might consider disconnecting the battery instead. Earlier this year, I saw a long term battery tender lead to leaking battery acid. The acid leaked into the battery tray and created a hole in it.

Comment

I run a timer for my battery tenders. Just set it to run an hour a day and keep the water topped up. Having a lot of motorcycles sitting around leads to a lot of dead batteries if I don't use tenders. I have the Deltran Junior in both 12v and 6v, just don't mix them up.

Comment

My studied opinion is that they are unnecessary. Save yourself the headache. I maintain a good sized fleet of antique cars that often sit 4 or more months. It is a nice idea to disconnect the battery. I do that then pat them lovingly on the fender and say goodbye till spring. I connect the battery, jump in, crank them up and go on my way. This system has served me for the last, oh, 40 years or so and I get anywhere from 5-8 years out of the batteries. The 6 volts last longer than the 12s.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
            I run a timer for my battery tenders. Just set it to run an hour a day and keep the water topped up. Having a lot of motorcycles sitting around leads to a lot of dead batteries if I don't use tenders. I have the Deltran Junior in both 12v and 6v, just don't mix them up.
            That's a great idea!

Comment

If you decide to Buy one, the 1st. one is easier and safer to use because you can easily and quickly Disconnect the Cables instead of un-bolting them. The #2 is designed for permanent connection, not what I would do.

Schumacher Chargers are very good quality, and that's a Great Price $32.96 + Free Shipping!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                I have the Deltran Junior in both 12v and 6v, just don't mix them up.
                I like the Deltran as well. Both 6 and 12. They detect if the power goes off, and restart automatically. Lesser brands do not.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I don't know if any of the other chargers have it, but the Deltran has a pig tail you install on your battery. So you don't have to even open your hood to plug the charger in. Motorcycle cycle batteries are sometimes buried deep into the frame and a pain to get to, so the pigtail is a great convenience.

Comment

Working...
                  X