Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellingham Studenut
    replied
    Rout the exhaust correctly as Richard mentions to help prevent fumes.
    I drove often with top and rear window open. Occasionally you may want to open the driver window, or wing windows. By turning the wing window all the way around, it will scoop air into front and push out the back.
    The best way to take care of it would be adding a pair of vintage wind deflectors attached to the rear corner posts of a station wagon to break up the vacuum formed during forward movement of the vehicle.
    They prevent the vacuum created at the blunt end during forward movement of station wagons, so it won't draw road dust, dirt, grime, snow and other foreign material onto the rear window, obscuring rear vision, or fumes when open.
    I don't have a picture of the Wagonaire's we have with deflectors, but this link shows what they look like-
    http://www.oldride.com/community/gal...960283291.html
    The rear 3rd seat option would literally have exhausted passengers when exhaust is routed wrong, window open and no deflectors!
    Later station wagons and even some SUV's used a horizontal deflector across the rear roofline to solve the problem.

James

The Bell Collection
    Bellingham, WA.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Billy
    replied
    Dual exhaust Bob.

Bill Foy
    Kingston, Ontario
    1964 Wagonaire Slider

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Thanks, Bill. That's good to hear.

Do you have single or dual exhaust?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Leave a comment:

• Captain Billy
    replied
    The exhaust on my wagon is as per factory and we drive all over with the roof open, and the rear glass partially up, don't want the dog to leap out and the trees are so nice this time of year with just a light dusting of snow and all the frogs....

Oooops...

Time to install my deflectors....

Seriously....we only have the occassional problem with spent carbon entering the cabin...I just roll my window down a bit and the problem goes away.

Bill Foy
    Kingston, Ontario
    1964 Wagonaire Slider

Leave a comment:

• JLasvegas
    replied
    Sal, I know that it will quiet down the exhaust some, but it will also make it quiter inside the car which will be nice, but the sound of the exhaust bouncing off the ground sure is sweet

no more fumes will be a nice thing

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
    259cid flight o matic

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    If you use the original pipes, you're going to lose some of the throaty exhaust note you like. I have 2-1/2 inch pipes that dump at the rear axle. I don't use the big pipes for the sake of increased flow or power, just for the sound. It sounds awesome. I also use the flowmaster mufflers. I get the same comments about whether its a big block. I love the sound of my car. Sadly, though, I need to fix a leak at one of the head pipes. Those are the bane of my exhaust systems existence.

sals54

Leave a comment:

• JLasvegas
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

just called sasco and got the 4 pieces I need on the way,
    I hope that was a 1557940 and 1557941 TAILPIPES and a pair of 1555959 Muffler Outlet Extension Pipes!

Because the 1549553 & 555 that you asked about, are Rear Exhaust Pipes, in the picture # 401-1-3, pipes from the Head Pipes to the Muffler.

If you Told Dennis or Denice, WHERE they go and WHAT they are, you should be OK, if you used wrong part numbers, you are NOT OK! [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    I didnt even mention part numbers just incase I was wrong on those, I explained my set up and asked him to give me everything from the muffler back to the tips
    Dennis was very gentle

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
    259cid flight o matic

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    How many refrigerators or standing Christmas trees per year do you carry?
    That's probably why that option didn't sell too well for Studebaker OR GM [^]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I think all of Bob's "technical info", really says: You need to drive the car as it was designed to be driven, that is, with the sliding roof closed and the Tailgate up, and just sometimes with the rear window open, and rarer still with the roof & window open! [:0]

How many refrigerators or standing Christmas trees per year do you carry?

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    Re air flow through back end: the air sliding over the roof will fall in a downdraft immediately at the edge of the open roof edge. This downdraft will fall to or very near to the floor and will continue to move toward the tailgate. It hits the tailgate and a tiny amount will turn down and create a narrow layer of turbulence. The majority will rise to meet the upper portion of the original downdraft (which is lower than the walls of the rear compartment) and will then slide down on the outer edge of the tailgate. As the vertical wall of the tailgate moves forward it will create a curl of turbulence near the top edge of the tailgate. It is this turbulent updraft that will pick up exhaust fumes and allow them to be sucked into the car against the window walls. That's why cheap guys drive their pickups with the tailgate down. Lets the downdraft from the rear of the cab escape in a straight horizontal line.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

just called sasco and got the 4 pieces I need on the way,
    I hope that was a 1557940 and 1557941 TAILPIPES and a pair of 1555959 Muffler Outlet Extension Pipes!

Because the 1549553 & 555 that you asked about, are Rear Exhaust Pipes, in the picture # 401-1-3, pipes from the Head Pipes to the Muffler.

If you Told Dennis or Denice, WHERE they go and WHAT they are, you should be OK, if you used wrong part numbers, you are NOT OK! [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

Leave a comment:

• JLasvegas
    replied
    just called sasco and got the 4 pieces I need on the way, and everything should be pretty easy to install ordering to them

no more fumes

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
    259cid flight o matic

Leave a comment:

• JLasvegas
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by bams50

Be advised that if your weatherstrips leak around the rear window or you like to occasionally drive with it open, the exhaust will be sucked into the car because of the vacuum caused by the square-back Wagon shape. They need to exit diagonally and down out of the rear corners of the bumper.
    Are you sure that will solve the fume issue? That would be great to know! I had somebody tell me that the only way to keep fumes coming in a Wagonaire with the top open is top stay still and leave the engine off[xx(] My Lark wagon is terrible regardless of window/gate position, but I'm hoping new exhaust will fix it.

Is it really possible to make 'em fume free??

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

it would seem that driving with the roof open, would push the air down and out past the tailgate, but with the roof closed and window open, it wold create a low pressure area
    atleast it sounds about right

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
    259cid flight o matic

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied

Be advised that if your weatherstrips leak around the rear window or you like to occasionally drive with it open, the exhaust will be sucked into the car because of the vacuum caused by the square-back Wagon shape. They need to exit diagonally and down out of the rear corners of the bumper.
    Are you sure that will solve the fume issue? That would be great to know! I had somebody tell me that the only way to keep fumes coming in a Wagonaire with the top open is top stay still and leave the engine off[xx(] My Lark wagon is terrible regardless of window/gate position, but I'm hoping new exhaust will fix it.

Is it really possible to make 'em fume free??

Parish, central NY 13131

Leave a comment:

• JLasvegas
    replied
    all im looking for is the bends that go over the axle, seems thats too complicated for Midas to pull off which is lame.
    or have the exhaust exit in front of the rear tires, but the fumes might still make there way into the back

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
    259cid flight o matic

Leave a comment:

Working...
X